What is Rhubarb Custard Candy
Rhubarb custard candy, which is known as rhubarb rock in the UK, comes in different forms. It is always a hard candy but sometimes it has a pink exterior wrapped around a green interior (to resemble a slice of fresh rhubarb) and other times the candy is half pink and half yellow (the pink is for the rhubarb and the yellow is for the custard).
This candy has a sour flavor and a sweet one at the same time, since the rhubarb is naturally sour, at least if you do not sweeten it with sugar when cooking with it, and the custard is of course sweet. These are very popular candies in the UK and almost every child is familiar with them.
Similar Candies to Rhubarb Custard Candy
If you enjoy the sour rhubarb flavor you might like to sample rhubarb pips, rhubarb pencils, rhubarb twists, or rhubarb leather candies. All of these have a similar flavor.
There is another famous candy in the UK which is called apple custard candy and this uses tart green apple flavoring instead of the rhubarb. These two flavors are not dissimilar, although the rhubarb custard candy has a definite rhubarb taste and the apple one tastes like apples.
Beloved British Candies
British candies differ from American ones, although some are very similar. The iconic British candy bar has to be Cadbury Dairy Milk and you can get this plain, or with whole nuts, shortbread cookie pieces, caramel, whipped fondant, or nuts and raisins. This is different from the Cadbury bar you can get in the United States. The British version contains milk, sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, vegetable fat, and emulsifiers.
The Hershey version begins the ingredient list with sugar (so there is more sugar in the American version and more milk in the British one). Soy lecithin and lactose are also on the ingredients label, as well as natural and artificial flavorings, so you can see how the British version is going to have a completely different taste.
Try the Curly Wurly, a strip of braided, chocolate-covered caramel, or the Crunchie bar, a crisp honeycomb-filled candy bar. The king of British candy bars is the Mars bar though, and about 3 million Mars bars are made every day in Slough, west of London. This is similar to a Milky Way but with a layer of caramel. You can fry it in batter (like fish) or serve it melted over ice cream.
Other Popular Candies in Britain
Also popular in Britain are soft jellies such as Fruit Pastilles or Fruit Gums (also called Wine Gums) and these are made by Rowntree. Kids love Jelly Tots and Jelly Babies, although Jelly Beans are reserved for older kids and adults. Cotton candy is known as candy floss in Britain, and then you can also find the usual array of ice creams, chocolate bars, fruit bars, chewy or boiled fruit candies, and much more.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (48941 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32372 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18583 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17531 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13791 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10510 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9711 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9442 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (8995 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8414 Views)