Different Types of Trifle Recipes
If you are a fan of trifle recipes, chocolate cake chocolate pudding trifle might sound very tempting to you, or what about raspberry trifle or individual plum trifles? Chocolate pudding might not feature in the conventional English sherry trifle recipe but there are many types of trifle recipes that you can make, so why not experiment with a few different flavors?
The Original Trifle Recipe
The original recipe for trifle contains pieces of cake soaked in liqueur and fruit, as well as gelatin, for the bottom layer. On top of that is egg custard and the dessert is topped with whipped cream. This dish is traditionally served in the UK at Christmas, as an alternative to the much richer and heavier Christmas pudding.
Sherry trifle can be made in individual cups but it is usually prepared in a trifle bowl, which is a rounded glass bowl. The trifle might be topped with colorful sprinkles, chopped fruit, or berries. Trifle is known in many countries although the history of trifle tells us that it can be traced back to the eighteenth century in the UK.
New Ways to Make This Classic Dish
If you enjoy making layered dessert recipes, what about making a new twist on this classic dessert recipe? You can use instant pudding to make the custard layer – chocolate pudding, white chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding and banana cream pudding are all really tasty in trifle recipes, or you might want to copy the original trifle recipe and use egg custard flavor instant pudding for the custard layer.
You can also experiment with different fruit. Strawberry trifle and raspberry trifle are typical summer favorites but what about using canned mixed fruit or something unusual like kiwi fruit or gooseberries? Some of the best trifles are made by combining ingredients that do not feature in the traditional recipes for trifle and using gelatin and pudding means you can make wonderful trifle recipes without spending hours on them.
The History of Trifle
The word “trifle” originally referred to a thick cream mixture which was flavored with ginger and rosewater, and sweetened with sugar. This recipe featured in a 1596 cookbook. Sixty years later milk was added to the dessert and custard was poured over alcohol-soaked bread. Trifle originates from fool which is a similar dessert and at one time these two names were used interchangeably.
The earliest trifle recipe containing gelatin dates back to 1747, although many people are surprised when they find out gelatin was being used in dessert recipes so long ago. It is true that the flavored gelatin we get now is a fairly recent invention, but back in the eighteenth century, housewives would make their own gelatin by boiling bones to release the collagen and get to the gelatin.
Modern trifles are very different from these old-fashioned ones and we can make easier trifles than ever now we can buy readymade custard, already-flavored gelatin granules, and even whipped toppings. It is always interesting to discover the history behind famous dessert recipes though.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (47180 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (31796 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18311 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (16932 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13485 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (9798 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9163 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (8984 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (8766 Views)
- Fresh Strawberry Trifle Recipe with Red Wine (7795 Views)