The Best Pudding Flavors
Instant pudding is available in all kinds of delicious flavors and the best flavor to choose depends what you are going to do with the pudding. If you are just going to add cold milk, whisk it, and eat it, you can choose any one of them.
How to Use Pudding in Other Recipes
If you want to use pudding to make pudding pie recipes or a cheesecake, you can match the pudding to the dessert. Chocolate instant pudding can be mixed with cream instead of milk and used to sandwich cake layers together. Add some whipped cream to pumpkin spice instant pudding and you can make a delicious pumpkin mousse recipe.
Oreo instant pudding makes a delicious cheesecake and you can make a mouthwatering mousse with white chocolate instant pudding.
The History of Christmas Pudding Recipes
There are lots of types of puddings, ranging from soft to quite hard, and sweet to savory. A pudding can be a custard, porridge, flan, dumpling, or tart, and it often contains ingredients like milk, eggs, flour, sugar, and a flavoring. One of the most famous types of pudding recipes is the Christmas pudding, and this originated in the 1300s as a porridge-type dish called frumenty.
Frumenty was made with mutton or beef, raisins, wine, cereal, breadcrumbs, spices, and prunes. This mixture was stuffed in sausage skins, enclosed in pastry, and then baked. This dish was eaten as a fasting dish before the festivities of Christmas started, and bears very little resemblance to modern Christmas puddings, apart from the fact it contained fruit and spices.
Frumenty was replaced by an egg, breadcrumb, alcohol, and dried fruit concoction known as plum pudding by the end of the 1500s. This became the Christmas dessert in the UK but it was banned in 1664 by the Puritans who found it too rich. King George I reestablished Christmas pudding in 1714. By the Victorian times, the Christmas puddings were already very similar to the ones eaten today.
Christmas Pudding Facts
According to Christmas lore, Christmas pudding recipes should be made with thirteen ingredients, to represent Jesus and his disciples. The traditional time for making this recipe is on stir-up Sunday, which is the twenty-fifth Sunday after Trinity. You should stir the mixture with a wooden spoon from east to west, and this is to honor the Three Kings. Each member of the family should take their turn at stirring, while they make a wish.
Many families have their own Christmas pudding recipes and many are handed down the families for generations. The recipe brings together what used to be costly and luxurious ingredients, especially the sweet spices, which is why traditionally it is only made once a year.
Christmas pudding is very dark, almost black, because of the black treacle, and dark sugar most recipes call for, as well as its long cooking time. Christmas pudding might contain brandy, dark beer, or citrus juice. It is often served with brandy butter, cream, rum butter, sweetened bechamel, or lemon cream, although vanilla ice cream would also work.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (48477 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32296 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18549 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17463 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13749 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10419 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9626 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9408 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (8960 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8308 Views)