What Makes Egg Tarts So Wonderfully Unique?
For sure, egg tarts have a really unique flavor. If you like egg custard then you will love egg tarts, where the egg custard is cooked in delicious crumbly pastry cases. You can serve egg tarts hot from the oven, warm or cold, and they make a wonderful snack or dessert. A simple recipe for egg tarts enables you to make these wonderful little snacks, and you will want to make them again and again.
The History of Egg Tarts
Custard tarts were introduced in Hong Kong in the 1940s and then they began to appear in western cafes and bakeries. Mini egg tarts were popular during the 1950s and 1960s and they are now a common dim sum dish in Chinese restaurants. The ones served in restaurants are richer than the ones sold in bakeries.
It is thought that egg tarts might have started out as English custard tarts, since Hong Kong used to be a British colony and adopted some British foods. Other people believe they evolved from Portuguese egg tart pastries, or “pasteles de nata” as they are also known, which are very similar. Continue reading
Flan, or crème caramel, is a typical recipe from Spain. This caramel-topped dessert is famous not only in Spain but throughout the world. There are different variations of this dish, including chocolate flan, coconut flan and more but the traditional flan is yellow and vanilla flavored, served in individual portions or in portions cut from one large molded flan. If you make a big one you can use a wooden skewer stuck into the center of the flan to test when it has finished cooking. If the skewer comes out clean, the flan is done.
Spanish people usually prioritize savory dishes, which is why there are not that many famous Spanish dessert recipes. Flan is different though and homemade flan served with strong coffee is many people’s idea of comfort food in Spain. You can get instant flan mixes in Spain; these are made with warm milk and you do not have to bake them.
When cooking the following flan recipe, bear in mind the caramel should develop to an oak color. If it goes mahogany (very dark brown), it might have a bitter flavor. There is another famous dessert in Spain called “pijama” which is made with a flan, some canned peach and pineapple and whipped cream. Pijama is shared out, tapas-style. Continue reading
Crème brûlée is a rich custard based dessert, topped with caramelized sugar. Crème brûlée is French for “burnt cream” and this is a popular dessert recipe served in fine restaurants. The following crème brûlée recipe uses almonds for a slightly nutty flavor but you can leave out the almond liqueur and almonds for a more traditional crème brûlée recipe.
Crème brûlée recipes combine minimalist flavors in a partly heated, partly chilled dessert. Some chefs like to mix in vanilla, coconut, pumpkin, espresso or chocolate for seasonal varieties. Others like to use rich liqueurs such as bourbon, crème de cassis or crème de menthe. You can serve this crème brûlée recipe as it is or add some fresh raspberries and a sprig of mint before serving. Continue reading
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49942 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32447 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10609 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9808 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8537 Views)