Gooseberry Fool Meringue Cookie Recipe
Gooseberries are often sadly underused in recipes, especially gelatin recipes, but in this wonderful dessert, you can combine them with meringue and create a dessert to die for. Gooseberries vary in color from red to green and their flavor has been compared to that of the Muscat grape. There are hundreds of gooseberry varieties.
Gelatin sheets are used in this recipe rather than gelatin powder, which gives similar results but works in a slightly different way. Gelatin is used to make a sticky syrup to stick the meringues together. Gelatin would not be sticky enough unless you made it really strong and then the flavor would be too strong, so gelatin sheets are the way to do this. You can serve leftover gooseberry syrup with ice cream if you want.
Gooseberries have to be cooked when you use them in gooseberry recipes, else they tend to be bitter. We are going to make a gooseberry puree which holds the meringues together. You might have enjoyed a gooseberry fool recipe before but this would not be able to cement the meringues like the gooseberry puree can. Remember that when these filled meringues reach room temperature they will fall apart, so serve them chilled!
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 sheets gelatin
- 9 oz gooseberries
- 4 oz sugar
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees F.
- Place some parchment paper on a baking tray. Pour the egg whites into a bowl.
- Whip with a little sugar. Gradually add the rest of the sugar, whipping all the time until the mixture is glossy and stiff.
- The consistency is right when you can tip the bowl upside down without anything falling out.
- Drop a teaspoon of the mixture on to the baking tray and repeat to create eleven more meringues, placing them an inch apart.
- Place the tray in the center of the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, leaving the meringues in there for another hour.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely.
- Cook the gooseberries, sugar, and water until the sugar has dissolved and the gooseberries have popped open.
- Make a syrup-like liquid with a hand blender.
- Soak the gelatin in the water for 20 minutes then squeeze the water out.
- Add the gelatin to the gooseberry mixture, heating gently until the gelatin dissolves.
- Chill until partially set, and then spread this mixture between 2 meringues.
- Repeat with the other meringues then chill them in the refrigerator.
Gooseberries grew wild first of all in Northern Africa, but they are now cultivated all over Northern Europe and North America. Gooseberries taste a bit like grapes and you can use them to make delicious desserts like this gelatin gooseberry fool meringue cookie recipe. Serve these meringues after dinner and everyone will be delighted with the light, crumbly meringues and the sweet, fruity filling. These gooseberry gelatin meringues are also a tasty treat at any time of the day when you fancy a snack.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49943 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32452 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18617 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17626 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13832 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10612 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9816 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9483 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8546 Views)