Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds
These delicious lime cupcakes are tangy and tasty, and the poppy seeds gives them a lovely crunch. The cupcakes are flavored with fresh lime zest and juice and the frosting features vanilla and lime. You can make the frosting ahead if you wish. It keeps in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Just bring it to room temperature and beat it for a bit before using, if you do wish to make it ahead.
Cupcakes can be made in many different flavors and perhaps you have made citrus ones before, using orange or lemon. Actually if you want to, you can swap some of the lime for orange or lemon in this recipe, just to alter the taste a little. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes so you can double it if you wish. These cupcakes are so yummy it is hard to limit yourself to eating just one at a time!
Because these cupcakes are so pretty they make nice birthday cakes. If you are looking for an alternative to the standard birthday cake recipe why not make a batch of these and put a candle in each one, the number of candles corresponding to the age of the person you are baking for (well, within reason!) That is a great idea for birthdays and there is no cutting involved either, since everyone gets their own cupcake.
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white
- Juice of 4 limes
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1⅓ cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Few drops of green food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- First make the cupcake batter.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, then stir in the sugar.
- Set this bowl aside.
- Whisk the egg and egg white with the oil and milk in another bowl.
- Whisk in the lime juice and zest.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir.
- Fold in the poppy seeds.
- Pour the batter into 12 oiled muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let them cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the butter for 2 minutes using an electric mixer.
- Add the powdered sugar bit by bit, beating well between additions.
- Beat in the lime zest and vanilla, as well as a few drops of green food coloring if using.
- Smooth the frosting over the cooled cupcakes using a palette knife, or pipe it on.
- Sprinkle a few poppy seeds on top.
These cupcakes are beautiful and you can make them in oiled muffin cups or use paper cases, as you wish. The candle on top is optional but you could make these cakes for a birthday if you wish. If you do not have poppy seeds or do not like them, these are nice without them, but they do add a lovely crunch which many people enjoy, and they look attractive on the finished cupcakes too. This is a simple recipe and you can make it without an electric beater but it is easier with one. The batter should be mixed well enough for the poppy seeds to be evenly distributed but if the batter does have a few lumps in, it does not really matter with this recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49172 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32439 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17610 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13826 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10600 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9802 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9479 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9029 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8530 Views)