Easy Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
This is another of our indulgent chocolate mousse recipes, which is made in several layers. The first layer is an ultra-rich and mouthwatering chocolate cake, enhanced with rum, chocolate chips, espresso, and even a pinch of red chili powder. You might consider red chili powder to be an unusual cake ingredient but it actually adds a great flavor to the cake. Just look at how many Mexican desserts with chocolate also contain chili powder or how many savory chili dishes are enhanced with a pinch of cocoa powder. Chocolate and chili are wonderful together but just use a tiny bit of chili.
The mousse is made with chocolate instant pudding, which can be served alone as a pudding or used in recipes like this coffee chocolate mousse cake recipe. You can try using a different flavor of instant pudding for this dish if you like – maybe Oreo flavor or French vanilla. The chocolate ganache topping is rich and creamy and, overall, this is a luxurious cake, which has plenty of wonderful flavor in every mouthful.
This recipe takes a while to make because the cake has to cool, then the following two layers have to set, but it is well worth making if you are a fan of rich, creamy chocolate desserts because this is one of the best mousse recipes for true chocoholics.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ packet melted chocolate chips
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- ⅛ teaspoon red chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup strong espresso
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup rum
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar dissolved in ½ cup water or ½ cup espresso
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 packages instant chocolate pudding
- 2 oz melted bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 package bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Handful chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a nonstick round springform pan.
- Beat the sugar and eggs until creamy and white, then add the shortening, vanilla, and espresso and beat again.
- Add the rum and melted chocolate and keep beating on a low speed. Sift the cocoa powder, chili powder, salt, baking powder, and flour into the mixture and fold it in gently.
- Transfer the batter into the greased pan and bake the cake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool down.
- Take the cooled cake out of the pan and put it into another pan (or clean the first one and use that). Pour the sugar syrup over the cake.
- Whip the mousse ingredients together, and then spoon this over the cake.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until the mousse layer has set.
- Combine the chocolate chips and heavy whipping cream in a bowl to make the chocolate ganache and microwave it for a couple of minutes or until the chocolate melts.
- Stir well, and then spoon this over the mousse layer.
- Chill the chocolate mousse cake in the refrigerator until it has set.
- Cut the dessert into slices or into pieces with a shaped cookie cutter and decorate each serving with some chopped nuts and a sprig of fresh mint.
Biting into this chocolate mousse cake is like tasting a bit of heaven. The rum, chili powder, espresso and other flavors all combine perfectly and result to give a multi-dimensional flavor which gives this dessert recipe a gourmet finish. The chopped nuts and fresh mint look beautiful as a garnish, as you can see in the photo, and this tasty chocolate mousse cake is suitable for any occasion, from a late afternoon pick-me-up with a cup of coffee to a formal dinner party setting.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (50630 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32490 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18634 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17664 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13855 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10669 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9870 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9523 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9059 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8607 Views)