Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Some people claim a strawberry shortcake cake must be made with biscuit and others like to use cake. The following recipe for strawberry shortcake cake uses an angel food cake, fresh strawberries and whipped cream. A gelatin layer adds another texture and boosts the fruity flavor and a cream cheese and vanilla frosting is piped around the outside of the cake to keep the gelatin in place until it sets.
Since strawberry shortcake is a combination of biscuit or cake, strawberries and whipped cream, this recipe is a true strawberry shortcake recipe with just a couple of little tweaks to improve the flavor and consistency. This strawberry gelatin cake is attractive enough to be a table centerpiece and you can serve it at a dinner party or garden party. As with all fresh strawberry recipes, try to choose perfect strawberries because they are visible. Save bruised or mushy strawberries for your breakfast cereal or for making smoothies.
This strawberry angel food cake keeps well in the refrigerator for a couple of days if you are not going to use it all at once. Serve it very cold for the best results.
- 1 round angel food cake, 10 inches across
- 2 cups whipped cream
- ½ cup strawberry jelly
- 1 package strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ stick butter
- ½ lb powdered sugar
- Stir the strawberry gelatin powder into the boiling water until it dissolves then leave it to thicken.
- Cut the cake into 3 layers and put the bottom layer on a serving plate.
- Spread half the jelly over it and 1 cup of the whipped cream.
- Cover with the middle cake layer.
- Spread the rest of the strawberry jelly over it, and then top it with the other cup of whipped cream.
- Cover with the top cake layer.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese on a low speed, and then add the vanilla.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Add the milk slowly and keep beating until the frosting is smooth.
- Transfer it to a piping bag and pipe the frosting around the outside edge of the cake.
- Arrange the strawberries on top of the cake and pour the thickened gelatin over them.
- The frosted edge will stop the gelatin from running over the outside of the cake.
- Chill the strawberry gelatin cake in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
This is a classic strawberry shortcake recipe and the flavors of cake, strawberries, and cream are a wonderful combination. Strawberry shortcake is great in the spring or summer when the weather is warm and fresh strawberries are in season. If you are looking for strawberry gelatin cake recipes, this is a really nice one to make because it looks and tastes amazing and the preparation is simple. The cake is finished off with a layer of gelatin-covered strawberries and a vanilla and cream cheese piped frosting. If you do not have a piping bag, simply snip the corner off a small bag and use that instead.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49866 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32444 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17620 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10605 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9807 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9033 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8536 Views)