Vanilla Frosted Strawberry Cake with Marshmallows
This mouthwatering strawberry cake is made using a yellow cake mix. Strawberry pudding is used to sandwich the cake layers together and it is finished off with a vanilla flavored frosting, marshmallows, fresh strawberries, and red sugar. This cake looks unusual and tastes delicious.
So, how do you make colored sugar? It is actually really easy to do. Simply stir drops of food coloring into grains of sugar, using a fork, and then let the sugar dry for an hour. You can make any color of sugar you like but pink sugar or red sugar looks nice with the following homemade strawberry cake recipe. Make sure the sugar has dried out properly, then transfer it into an airtight container and keep it somewhere cool and dry.
Vanilla and strawberries are a classic food pairing, which is why the vanilla frosting in this strawberry cake recipe goes so well with the strawberry instant pudding used to sandwich the cake layers together. This is a great cake for a warm spring or summer day, when you fancy something light and airy, yet full of flavor.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (2 layer size)
- 2 packages strawberry instant pudding
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 ⅔ cups milk
- 1 bag marshmallows (long, thin ones are best)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 8 fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sugar
- Few drops red food coloring
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups softened butter
- First, prepare the frosting. Whisk together 1 ? cups of the milk with salt and flour in a saucepan until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook it over a medium high heat, whisking all the time, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Let it boil for a minute, then take it off the heat and strain it into a bowl.
- Cover the top with plastic wrap to stop a skin forming and leave it at room temperature for about an hour and a half to cool down.
- Stir a couple of drops of red food coloring into ? cup of the sugar with a fork.
- Add more until the sugar is red, and then leave it out for an hour to dry.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 3 round baking pans with a 9-inch diameter and sprinkle flour into them.
- Beat the cake mix with the eggs, water and oil for a few minutes, then divide it between the pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until it is done. You can check for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the cake.
- If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes in the pans, and then cool it on wire racks.
- Mix the remaining milk with the heavy cream and sprinkle the strawberry pudding mixes over the top.
- Whisk until the mixture is very thick and smooth, and then leave it to thicken a bit more for 15 minutes.
- Use the strawberry pudding mixture to sandwich together the 3 cake layers.
- Beat the remaining sugar with the vanilla and butter until you have a light, creamy mixture.
- Beat in the cooled frosting mixture gradually, then frost the cake over the top and all around the sides.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the marshmallows and fresh strawberries.
- Sprinkle a little of the red sugar over the top.
- Keep the rest of the colored sugar in an airtight container.
This strawberry cake takes a bit of work but it is not difficult to make. This is a great homemade strawberry cake recipe for someone who has already made a few pie recipes or pudding recipes and wants to make something slightly more challenging. The marshmallows on the top contrast nicely with the juicy strawberries and the fluffy cake. This is a delicious cake and you can serve it as a birthday cake or simply after dinner as a special dessert to show your family how much you love them.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49941 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32446 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10607 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9807 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9035 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8537 Views)