Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk
This flavorful rhubarb bread is beautiful served warm from the oven, either by itself or with some butter spread over it. If you have been looking for a recipe for rhubarb bread using either sour cream or buttermilk, this one should fit the bill. You can either use prepared buttermilk or add a tablespoon of vinegar to fresh milk to make your own. The nuts are optional but they add a nice crunch and a good contrasting flavor as well. Use walnuts instead of the pecans if you prefer. Alternatively you can leave them out altogether.
Did you know that there are only two perennial vegetables, which can live to produce on their own for a number of growing seasons? These are rhubarb and asparagus. All other veggies have to be replaced each year. This is why growing rhubarb can work out so economical. You will get up to fifteen years’ worth of rhubarb in return for planting just one crop. Rhubarb is simple to grow anyway, as long as you follow a few basic tips and tricks. Newbie gardeners will find rhubarb a relatively easy crop to deal with.
So anybody searching for recipe for rhubarb bread using either sour cream or buttermilk can use their delicious homegrown rhubarb to make these wonderful loaves. This recipe makes two loaves. The rhubarb bread will keep for a few days in an airtight container but it probably will not last that long. This bread really is delicious!
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix the oil, egg and brown sugar together, then add the milk, salt, baking soda, flour, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Fold in the nuts and rhubarb.
- Divide the mixture between a pair of 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Mash the butter with the white sugar and use this to glaze the loaves on top.
- Bake the rhubarb bread for an hour or until done.
Anyone seeking a recipe for rhubarb bread using either sour cream or buttermilk should enjoy this rhubarb bread recipe because it is so simple to make. You can see how delicious it looks from the photo and it is up to you whether you serve it warm or cold, with or without butter. There are bread machine recipes for rhubarb bread but these loaves are made the traditional way. Rhubarb bread is a sweet treat, which is ideal as a late afternoon snack, served with a hot coffee or tea or even with a glass of milk or fruit juice. This tasty snack is beautiful if you spread butter on it and it makes a nice pick-me-up at pretty much any time.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49943 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32452 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18617 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17626 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13832 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10612 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9816 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9483 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8546 Views)