Easy Cherry Pie Recipe
This delicious cherry pie is made with cherries and cherry gelatin. Black cherry gelatin is not manufactured any more but you might still have some in your cupboard, in which case you can make a black cherry pie instead. The cherry pie filling is a mixture of cherry gelatin and fresh cherries. A little sugar is added to keep the cherries sweet and a touch of lemon juice adds a contrasting sharpness, which you cannot taste in the finished cherry pie filling but it does balance the flavor nicely.
The crust for this cherry pie recipe is made with vanilla wafer cookies and you make two crusts if you like. Wrap one in plastic wrap and it will keep in the freezer for a month. You could use a readymade pie crust if you wanted to, but this vanilla pie crust is so simple to make and it tastes really good with the cherry pie filling.
Cherry pie is a classic pie and using cherry gelatin adds to the color, flavor, and the texture of this delicious sweet cherry pie. A gelatin pie is easy to make and you can combine most fruits with your favorite gelatin flavors for a similar result. You can use any kind of crust you like and serve gelatin pie with ice cream or cream.
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups vanilla wafer cookie crumbs (about 50 wafer cookies)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ½ oz package cherry gelatin
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 4 cups pitted cherries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Process the vanilla cookies in a blender or food processor until you have fine crumbs. Alternatively, put them in a Ziploc bag and bash them with a rolling pin.
- Mix the vanilla wafer crumbs with the salt, butter, and vanilla and stir well until all the crumbs are moist.
- Press the mixture on to the base and sides of a spring form 9 inch pan, pressing it with your fingers so it is firm and compacted well.
- Bake it for about 7 minutes or until it is crisp and golden brown.
- Let it cool. Dissolve the cherry gelatin in the boiling water, and then add the cold water.
- Mash half the cherries which the sugar, then add the lemon juice.
- Cook the mixture over a low to medium heat, stirring it all the time, until it is thick.
- Cut the rest of the cherries in half.
- Take the hot cherry mixture off the heat and stir it into the gelatin mixture.
- Arrange the rest of the cherries over the cooled pie crust and pour the thickened cherry gelatin over the top when it is partially set.
- Let the cherry pie set in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight, then serve it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
This cherry pie is simple to make and it tastes great. You can use cherry pie filling to make this cherry pie recipe if you cannot find fresh cherries. The gelatin will still give it a good texture. It is better to use fresh cherries though because nothing beats their great flavor. This sweet cherry pie makes a great snack or dessert and the homemade vanilla wafer crust goes very well with the fruity cherry flavor.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49941 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32446 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10607 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9807 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9035 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8537 Views)