Fresh Strawberry Gelatin Pie
Perhaps you have tried store-bought strawberry pie or a strawberry chiffon pie before. Chiffon pies are made with whipped cream so they have a light and airy texture. The following recipe for fresh strawberry pie is made with strawberries and strawberry gelatin. This is an easy pie recipe to make and if strawberries are in season it makes great use of them.
The pastry crust is homemade because homemade pastry is so mouthwateringly good. Make sure you follow the recipe exactly. The water for the pastry must be ice cold and you must mix it using a knife, not your hands, else the shortening will melt and the pastry will not have a light, flaky texture. It can take a bit of practice to make a perfect pastry but it is something that is worth learning, if you want to make the best pie recipes.
Vanilla pudding is added to the gelatin mixture for flavoring. If you do not have any, you can add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract for the same results. This delicious strawberry pie recipe might not have the delicate, airy filling of a strawberry chiffon pie, but the gelatin gives it a wonderful texture and you can team a slice of this pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, and you will have a wonderful dessert.
- ½ cup Crisco vegetable shortening
- 1 ⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 3 oz package strawberry gelatin
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- Mix the salt and flour, then cut the shortening into the flour mixture with a knife, until it is the texture of little split peas.
- Do not use your hands to mix it because this melts the shortening and will make the pastry heavy.
- Add the ice water and use a fork to combine the ingredients.
- Do not add more water, even if it seems to need it.
- Gather the dough into a ball, and then make a 4-inch wide disk.
- Wrap it in plastic and chill it in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Take the dough disk out of the refrigerator and let it stand until it is bendable.
- Roll the dough disk out until you have a 12-inch circle.
- Line an ungreased 9-inch pie plate with the dough circle and unfold it gently so you have a base and an outer crust.
- Line the pastry shell with aluminum foil and fill it with raw rice or dried peas.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until it is light brown, then let it cool.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, then add the instant pudding mix and stir well until everything has dissolved. Leave it to cool.
- When it starts to thicken, stir in the strawberries and pour the mixture into the baked crust.
- Leave it in the refrigerator for 4 hours or until the filling has set.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
This might be a basic-looking strawberry pie recipe but do not be fooled by looks – the texture and flavor are amazing. Fresh strawberries have a delicate and unique flavor so you do not want to add too many ingredients to this pie filling, else you will swamp the strawberry flavor. Some gelatin and vanilla pudding are all you need for a simple and delicious pie filling. This is a great dessert on a warm spring or summer day or whenever you fancy sinking your teeth into something sweet and fruity.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49943 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32452 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18617 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17626 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13832 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10612 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9816 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9483 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8546 Views)