Homemade Lemon Pie in a Homemade Crust
This delicious lemon pie recipe is completely homemade, including the pastry crust. The filling is made with sugar, eggs, lemon gelatin, and fresh lemon, giving this homemade lemon pie a sweet, fresh, and deliciously tangy flavor. If you like lemon pie, you are really going to enjoy this one.
The eggs in lemon pie recipes give them a real richness and the whipping cream served with this lemon pie recipe is the perfect accompaniment. Lemon pie makes a great dessert and it is also a nice afternoon treat with a cup of tea or coffee. Kids like lemon pie as well, as long as it is sweet enough, and your little ones will enjoy this easy pie recipe just as much as you will.
For a change, you can use lime gelatin and lime juice or orange gelatin and orange juice instead of the lemons. A lot of people love lemon pie filling more than any other because it is sweet, tangy and really makes your mouth water when you imagine it. Lemon pie is great served icy cold and the lemon gelatin in this lemon pie recipe give the lemon pie filling a really nice firm texture.
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- ½ stick butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 oz package lemon gelatin
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Pulse the flour, ½ teaspoon of the salt and the powdered sugar in a food processor once or twice.
- Add the butter and pulse on and off until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and pulse once more.
- Add the water, a bit at a time, until the dough forms a ball against the food processor bowl sides.
- Press the dough evenly over the sides and base of a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Butter the shiny side of an aluminum foil sheet and press it tightly against the crust, buttered side down.
- Chill the crust for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake the crust for about 30 minutes, then take the aluminum foil off and cool the crust.
- Separate the other 3 eggs and mix the yolks with ¼ cup of the white sugar and 1 cup of the water in a pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring it all the time.
- Take the mixture off the heat and stir in the gelatin until it dissolves.
- Add the rest of the water and the lemon zest and juice and chill the mixture until it thickens a bit.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until the mixture is foamy, then add ¼ cup of white sugar, a bit at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Keep beating the mixture until it stands in stiff peaks.
- Beat the gelatin mixture a bit, and then pour the meringue mixture into it.
- Pour it in to the cooled crust and chill until firm.
- Serve with some whipping cream on the side.
This lemon pie recipe is simple to make and the resulting pie is really tasty. You can see from the photo that the pastry crust is also homemade. Readymade pastry sometimes looks “too perfect” whereas homemade crusts look really special. There are different recipes for pie crusts but the recipe used to make the crust for this homemade lemon pie is very simple. A generous dollop of whipped cream finishes this pie off wonderfully. Perhaps you have made lemon pie recipes before but this one is special because it is made with lemon gelatin for a firm texture and well beaten egg whites for an airy, fluffy texture.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49866 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32444 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17620 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10605 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9807 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9035 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8536 Views)