No Bake Key Lime Pie with a Pretzel Crust
Key lime pie is usually made with egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk, but the following recipe uses lime gelatin for a delicious flavor and great texture. Condensed milk was used in the traditional key lime pie recipe before refrigeration was introduced to the area. Some key lime pie recipes have a meringue topping. The recipe has changed slightly but key lime pie is still a classic dish and is very popular in the United States.
This dessert is named after the small key limes found in the Florida Keys. These limes are more aromatic and tart than the limes you find year-round in the grocery store and their juice is pale yellow instead of green. A key lime pie usually has a yellow filling because of the egg yolks as well as the lime juice. Some recipes call for green food coloring to be added to the key lime pie but a good chef would not do this.
No bake key lime pie is the traditional preparation method. With the authentic recipe, a reaction between the acid in the lime juice and the condensed milk encourages the filling to thicken without being baked. This chemical reaction is known as souring. Pies containing eggs are usually baked briefly nowadays, because of the questionable safety of raw eggs. The baking also makes the filling thicker.
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ¼ cups crushed pretzels
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 3 oz package lime gelatin
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- Ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons lime zest
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- 5 fresh strawberries, sliced
- Combine the sugar, butter, crushed pretzels, and press the mixture on to the sides and base of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Chill it in the refrigerator.
- Combine the gelatin with boiling water, stirring until it dissolves.
- Add enough ice to the cold water to make a cup of ice water, and then add this to the gelatin mixture, stirring until the ice melts.
- Add the lime juice, lime zest, and cool whip and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Spoon the lime mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate the key lime pie for 4 hours.
- Decorate it with the sliced strawberries.
Key lime pie has been the Florida state pie since 2006. The state representative of Florida introduced legislation in 1965, calling for a $100 fine against anyone advertising key lime pie made from Persian limes (the common ones) rather than key limes. This bill did not pass however. This no bake key lime pie is tangy and delicious and the strawberries add a fruity, colorful touch. When making key lime pie gelatin is a great ingredient to use because it adds a mint green color to the pie filling as well as a citrus flavor. This lime gelatin key lime pie is a light, refreshing, and truly mouthwatering dessert. Do not worry if you cannot get key limes. Just use whichever limes are available and the resulting key lime pie will be wonderful.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49171 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32438 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18610 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17606 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13824 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10597 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9798 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9475 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9027 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8523 Views)