Orange Gelatin Pie Recipe
The following recipe is based on one from the Eastern Star Cookbook. This cookbook might have come out in the 1950s but the recipe is still well worth making! A lot of old fashioned gelatin recipes might not be as appealing as they were in the 1950s and that includes Grandma’s savory gelatin salads with suspended ham, peas, and grated carrot, which usually receive a mixed response nowadays.
However, it is well worth browsing other old fashioned gelatin recipes, such as this one, because they are so good. It is impossible to get a gelatin pie or any kind of pie from the store that tastes as good as an old fashioned gelatin recipe. Whether this is because pies loving made by hand with fresh ingredients are better than mass-produced factory ones or whether being in control of the ingredients, cooking time and garnish means your pie will be unique and very attractive, there is no doubt that homemade gelatin recipes beat store-bought pies hands down every time, no matter who you ask.
When making the following gelatin pie recipe, you might want to line the pie crust with banana slices just before pouring in the filling, else they will go brown. Alternatively, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice over them and that will stop them from going brown. As this pie sets, the layers separate slowly, so when you cut into the pie there is a heavier gelatin layer and a lighter egg and fruit layer. This adds another dimension to this traditional and delicious gelatin pie recipe. If you are looking for something unusual, this recipe is highly recommended.
- 1 readymade graham cracker crust
- 1 package orange gelatin
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 small can crushed pineapple
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 bananas
- Dream Whip, to serve
- 2 tablespoons toasted desiccated coconut, to serve
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water and let it cool.
- Slice the bananas and use the slices to line the pie crust.
- Beat the egg yolks with ½ cup of the sugar.
- Add the pineapple and gently cook this mixture in a double boiler until it is thick.
- Keep the heat low or you might end up with scrambled eggs.
- Let it cool. Beat the remaining sugar with the egg whites.
- Combine the egg yolk mixture, the egg white mixture, and the thickened gelatin.
- Pour this mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate for 2 hours or until it is set.
- Serve each slice garnished with some Dream Whip and a sprinkling of toasted coconut.
As you can see from the picture, this appetizing pie is creamy and delicious. The orange gelatin keeps the filling firm and the eggs add a rich flavor. Whipped cream, or Dream Whip, is delicious on top, and a little toasted desiccated coconut adds to the tropical flavor, complementing the banana and pineapple flavors wonderfully. You can serve this delicious gelatin dessert with a glass of milk, like in the photo, or with a coffee as a late afternoon pick-me-up. This dessert is very popular and it has been a well loved gelatin dessert for nearly sixty years!
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49172 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32440 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17615 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13826 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10602 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9804 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8532 Views)