Strawberry Cake with Custard and Pineapple Gelatin
This delicious strawberry cake is made in two layers, which are sandwiched together with homemade custard. The topping is fruit with gelatin. This is an easy cake to make and the flavors and textures contrast really well. You might have made a gelatin flag cake or a recipe for strawberry shortcake before, but this cake is also very tasty and not difficult at all.
This fruity strawberry cake is nice cut into squares and served as a snack with a drink in the afternoon. Alternatively, it is tasty after dinner and the kids will love it as much as the adults do. It is best served chilled.
You can vary the fruit topping if you want to. The grapes, strawberries, peach, and kiwi go together nicely because they are soft and sweet and their colors contrast well, but use whichever fruit you want. If you are using thawed or canned fruit, make sure it is really well drained, else it will make the cake soggy. Fresh fruit is always good to use and if you want to make a fresh strawberry cake recipe, use fresh strawberries to top the cake.
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup cake flour
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup plus ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 package pineapple gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup black seedless grapes
- ¼ cup chopped kiwi
- ¼ cup chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup chopped peach
- Let the eggs reach room temperature. Whisk ? cup of the sugar with the half and half, cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon of the salt until the mixture reaches a boil.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl, then whisk in half the hot mixture.
- Pour everything back into the pan and cook until it comes to a boil, whisking all the time.
- Transfer the custard mixture back to the bowl and stir in half the vanilla extract.
- Cover with wax paper and chill for an hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9 inch square cake pan and line it with greased wax paper.
- Separate the 4 remaining eggs and combine the yolks with the rest of the sugar and the rest of the vanilla.
- Beat the mixture for a few minutes, until it is thick and pale.
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a small pan and drizzle it into the yolk mixture, beating it on a low speed.
- Mix in the flour, and then transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Melt the butter, and then whisk it with the egg whites, the rest of the salt and the cream of tartar.
- Whisk for a couple of minutes, until the mixture is stiff but not dry.
- Fold ⅓ of the egg whites into the yolk mixture, and then add the rest of the egg whites and the butter.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then on a wire rack until totally cool.
- Stir the gelatin powder into the boiling water until it dissolves. Leave it to thicken.
- Cut the cake into 2 layers, using a serrated knife, then sandwich them together with the chilled custard.
- Arrange the grapes, kiwi, strawberries, and peach pieces on top of the cake and spoon the pineapple gelatin over the top.
- Chill the cake for 2 hours or until the gelatin layer is set.
This homemade fruit and strawberry cake tastes every bit as good as it looks. The sponge and custard layers contrast well with the fresh fruit topping and pineapple gelatin layer. This southern strawberry cake is one of the nicest way to use strawberries and your whole family is going to enjoy this delicious strawberry cake recipe. This is an exciting, colorful cake and every mouthful offers different flavors and textures, including soft sponge cake, creamy homemade custard, fresh fruit, and delicious gelatin.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49943 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32451 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18615 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13829 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10610 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9815 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9483 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8542 Views)