Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie
This pie is so mouthwatering and it is perfect for the holidays. There might be more ingredients in the recipe than you would expect to see but this is well worth making because the flavor is so wonderful. The pumpkin and sweet potato combine to give you plenty of incredible flavor, while the coconut adds a subtle touch and the spices complement the sweet potato and pumpkin taste.
Make your own pastry crust if you wish but it is just as easy to use a readymade one. It is important that the pastry is chilled (fresh from the refrigerator) when you put the pie in the oven. This is so it does not get too dark during the long baking time. Depending on your oven the pie might be ready in 1¾ hours but it usually takes closer to 2 hours, so just keep an eye on it.
If you wish to make this ahead, you can make the sweet potatoes mixture up to 3 days ahead and keep it refrigerated. Keep the cooking liquid (reduced to ¼ cup as detailed in the recipe) too and then you can bring them to room temperature and continue with the recipe when you want. Another idea is to freeze the sweet potato mixture and the cooking liquid for up to 3 months, then you will be able to thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. Make 2 pies at a time if you are expecting lots of company. If you do this, use 3 whole eggs when doubling the ingredients to make the filling.
- 1 chilled 9 inch single pie crust
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1¼ lbs peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 lightly beaten egg yolk
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut milk (not coconut cream)
- ¾ cup cold whipping cream, whipped with 1½ tablespoons white sugar to soft peaks
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cooled, melted, unsalted butter
- Break the cinnamon stick into pieces and crumble the star anise.
- Peel the ginger and cut it into ¼ inch slices.
- Put them in a pot with the sweet potatoes and cloves.
- Add enough water to just cover the ingredients in the pot.
- Bring to a boil over a high heat, then simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Drain them and keep the cooking liquid.
- Put the potatoes back in the pot over a low heat and toss so they dry out.
- Discard the star anise, cloves and cinnamon.
- Sieve the potatoes or run them through a food mill or ricer, so they end up pureed.
- Boil the cooking liquid until you only have ¼ cup of it left, then let it cool.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and put an oven rack in the lower part of the oven.
- Whisk the cooled sweet potato puree with the pumpkin puree.
- Whisk in the reserved cooking liquid, melted butter, egg yolk and egg.
- Whisk the brown and white sugars together to get rid of lumps.
- Sift the salt and flour over the sugar then stir again.
- Stir this mixture into the sweet potato mixture.
- Give the coconut milk a stir in the can then add it to the sweet potato mixture and stir again.
- Add this filling to the chilled pie shell and smooth over the top.
- Bake for about 2 hours or until a knife blade inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack then serve with the whipped cream.
The combination of pumpkin and sweet potato gives this pie a rich orange-colored filling as you would expect, and not only does this look appealing but it makes it look like a holiday pie. Whether you choose to serve this during Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas, or any time you are in the mood for it, there is no doubt this is a delicious dessert. Sweet potato pie is sometimes served as a side dish in the South, alongside the turkey and vegetables, but this recipe is ideal for dessert, especially when topped with a generous amount of whipped cream, or perhaps with a scoop of vanilla ice cream instead.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49866 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32443 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17617 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10605 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9807 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9033 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8536 Views)