How to Make Shortbread Cutout Cookies Recipe
Shortbread cookie dough recipes have been floating around for centuries. Some of the best known shortbreads to appear seem to have originated in Scotland, so we all have the Scottish to thank for the beginnings of these simple but delicious types of cookies that we have today. However, things do change as time passes and the cookie is not left behind. Rather cookie making has evolved after all these years. Today you can choose from lots of different recipes.
Although, the shortbreads of yesteryear were a bit crude in their contents and making, they were the forerunners of the shortbread cookies you can enjoy making today. These types of cookies are also considered an ancestor of sorts to the traditional butter cookie and all its various adaptations down through the years. Traditional shortbread cookie dough is made by combining three parts flour, two parts butter and one part sugar.
A true shortbread cookie will contain a goodly amount of butter or shortening, hence its name throughout the years. Long ago, they were baked in round pans and then cut into wedges before serving. Back then these types of cookies were well loved and popular being petticoat tails. They have a considerable buttery flavor and are an excellent choice to serve with milk, hot cocoa, tea, or coffee. They are also a great choice when you are serving fruits, ice cream, pudding and other delicious desserts and beverages.
- 1 cup cold butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 container chocolate ice cream hardening sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a large mixing bowl and a pastry cutter or two knives you will add the cold butter and cut into small pieces. Add the sugar and combine well. Gradually add the flour. Mix well until blended.
- Prepare a clean dry surface by lightly coating it with flour. Flour your clean hands and then pour out the cookie dough onto the floured surface. You can roll it all at once or you may separate it into two smaller cookie dough balls to roll out separately.
- Roll the cookie dough to about ? inch thickness. Using the cookie cutter shapes of your choice cutout the cookies from the shortbread dough. Arrange on an un-greased baking sheet for about 8 to 10 minutes. Bake until the cookies are set and the bottoms are light brown.
- Remove cookies from the oven and transfer to wire racks to completely cool to the touch. Drizzle the chocolate ice cream hardening sauce over the cold cookies and then allow the cookies to rest for a short time before serving.
Learning how to make shortbread cutout cookie dough is very simple. This cookie recipe only calls for four ingredients to make them. You can make them by following our directions. If you do not prefer to include chocolate as a topping for the cookies in a decorative pattern, you can choose a different flavor. Alternately, you can just adapt the recipe and then not include toppings for your own homemade shortbread cookies. You can make them to serve to your children, family, and friends. You can also make them to give as gifts or include in a homemade cookie gift basket as a surprise.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (48251 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32219 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18513 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17363 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13710 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10328 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9530 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9372 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (8925 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8189 Views)