Bilberry Mousse Recipe with Grape Gelatin
This light and refreshing bilberry mousse is made with grape gelatin, cream and fresh bilberries. You can also use thawed bilberries. In fact, if you cannot find bilberries, try blueberries instead. Bilberries are a close relative of blueberries. They grow in Canada, northern Europe and Britain, as well as the United States. Bilberries look like small blueberries. Blueberries are a greenish yellow color inside with an herby, mild flavor. Bilberries are dark outside and inside and they have a flavor like wine. A lot of people have never heard of them, which is a shame because they are so good for cooking with.
You can cook with bilberries, as well as using them in desserts like this mousse recipe. Blueberries go gluey and insipid when you cook them but bilberries do not, which is why desserts like hot bilberry pie are popular. Bilberries are not in season all through the year so you might not be able to find them. Thawed bilberries are fine if you can find those, else use blueberries to make this delicious and healthy simple dessert recipe instead.
One bilberry benefit is that they can be used to make herbal extracts for the treatment of kidney stones, blood clots, diarrhea, and urinary tract infections. If you have heard about the dangers of bilberry, these just apply if you have diabetes. Bilberry lowers blood sugar so it is not suitable to eat in conjunction with diabetes medication, else it could boost the medication effects, which you do not want. Bilberry juice is sold as a health remedy and the following recipe makes use of this juicy fruit for a tasty summer dessert.
- 3 oz package grape gelatin
- 2 cups ice cubes
- ⅔ cup boiling water<
- 1 cup bilberries
- 10 oz Cool Whip
- Add the boiling water to the gelatin and stir it until the gelatin powder dissolves, and then add the ice cubes.
- Stir the gelatin until it starts to thicken, then remove any undissolved ice cubes.
- Add 8 oz of the Cool Whip and blend well.
- Puree all but 4 of the bilberries and add this mixture to the mousse.
- Mix well, and then pour the mousse into 4 serving glasses.
- Chill it for an hour, and then decorate with the rest of the Cool Whip and a bilberry.
This simple yet elegant bilberry mousse recipe is nice after any kind of meal. Bilberries taste like wine, which is why grape gelatin is used for this tasty dessert. You could use blueberry gelatin instead but that will change the color of the mousse and make it more blue and less purple. Perhaps you have tried bilberry juice or bilberry flavored candy before. The taste is a little like wine. Bilberries have a slightly sharp flavor, like cranberries or redcurrants. This is a great dessert recipe for someone who does not like overly sweet flavors but enjoys fruit flavored desserts, especially healthy ones like this one.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49171 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32428 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18608 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17599 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13817 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10585 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9787 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9472 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9024 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8513 Views)