Chocolate Bread Pudding with Lemon Mousse Topping
This unusual treat is two desserts in one, because the chocolate bread pudding is topped with a fluffy lemon mousse. Chocolate bread pudding is a popular dessert, which is enjoyed in Belgian and French cooking, all over Puerto Rico, Mexico, Argentina, and the UK, as well as throughout the southern United States. It also features in Louisiana Creole cuisine. This indulgent dessert is not difficult to make at all.
It is important to let the bread pudding rest before you bake it, and this is to ensure the gooey chocolate sauce is able to penetrate through most of the bread layers. You can make the gelatin mousse while you leave it to sit or while it is baking. The light, fragrant citrus mousse sits on top of the rich, mouthwatering chocolate bread pudding and the contrast between the two is great; it is nearly like having two desserts instead of one!
Maybe you are fond of chocolate and have tried a chocolate meringue buttercream recipe or chocolate meringue frosting recipes before. If so, you are sure to enjoy this chocolate bread pudding recipe with its lemon mousse topping.
- 18 slices bread, no crusts
- 15 fl oz heavy cream
- 11 ¾ fl oz milk
- 3 ½ oz plus 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs plus 3 egg yolks
- 3 ½ oz finely chopped chocolate
- 7 oz roughly chopped chocolate
- 8 oz thawed Cool Whip
- 2 ¼ cups boiling water
- 6 oz package lemon gelatin
- 6 oz thawed lemonade
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Cut the bread slices into quarters and arrange them in a greased dish.
- Heat the milk and cream in a pan over a moderate heat, then add the 3 ½ oz chocolate and a pinch of salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately turn the heat off.
- Whisk the whole eggs and egg yolks with the sugar.
- Add a little of the hot sauce to the egg mixture and whisk again.
- Pour this back into the pan and whisk everything together again.
- Put a sieve over the bowl of bread and pour the hot chocolate sauce through it.
- Shake the rest of the chocolate on top and mix, trying not to break the bread slices.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Combine the gelatin, lemonade, and water and let the mixture firm up a bit in the refrigerator.
- Beat in the Cool Whip.
- Bake the bread pudding in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes or until a knife used to pierce the dessert’s center comes out clean. Let it cool.
- Spread the mousse over the top of the dessert and serve.
As this picture shows, the combination of a rich, heavy chocolate bread pudding and a light, fluffy topping is amazing. If you have tried lemon meringue pie, you will already know that a light topping is great with a heavier base. This chocolate bread pudding recipe is very easy to make and if you have some bread to use up this is a great way to do it. You can use brioche instead of bread if you like and this would give a different, yet equally good, consistency and flavor. Why not make this fluffy gelatin dessert for dinner tonight? Your family are sure to be enchanted by it.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49866 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32441 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17615 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13827 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10603 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9806 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8534 Views)