Frozen Mousse with Currants and Hot Fruity Coulis
If you can get a couple of packages of frozen berries, you can make this delicious currants mousse. Choose from black currants, red currants or other berries. Combine any berries you like to make this tasty mousse recipe. Currants are very healthy, whether you use red currants, black currants or something similar. They are packed with nutrients and they taste great too.
The coulis is an intensely flavored sauce and it goes very nicely with the mousse. If you have some left over, you can keep it in the refrigerator, covered, for four or five days. Alternatively, you can freeze it for up to three months. Serve this coulis thawed and reheated with ice cream, pie or any other dessert where the flavor would be good. The kirsch, which is cherry liqueur, is an optional ingredient but it does liven up the sauce and add a stronger flavor.
Freezing the mousse gives it a firmer texture. If you serve the frozen mousse with the hot coulis, it will start to melt on contact and the flavors will fuse together. This is a light and airy dessert and the saying “there’s always room for JELL-O ®” could apply to this light, refreshing mousse just as much as it applies to a plain gelatin dessert.
- 2 lbs thawed berries (maybe blackcurrants, redcurrants, and raspberries)
- 1 package raspberry gelatin
- 1 package peach gelatin
- 1 pint whipping cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon kirsch (optional)
- 6 sprigs fresh mint, for garnish
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Crush 1 lb 4 oz of the berries and drain the juice.
- Add enough water to the berry juice to make 1 ½ cups and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Stir in the gelatin powder until it dissolves.
- Add the berries and ¼ cup of the sugar and puree with a hand blender.
- Whip the cream until it forms peaks, and then fold it into the fruit mixture.
- Put the mousse into a covered container and freeze it for a few hours.
- Heat the rest of the sugar with the water over a medium heat, stirring it occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- This will take about 5 minutes.
- Puree the remaining berries with the sugar syrup in a blender, and then strain the puree through a mesh sieve to remove any seeds.
- Stir in the kirsch if you are using it.
- Drizzle some of the hot berry coulis on 6 serving plates and serve a scoop of berry mousse on top.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
Your mousse might be a different color than the currants mousse in the photo, depending on which currants you use. Blackcurrants will make the mousse darker, as will blueberries. Strawberries or raspberries will make it more pink. You can use the same berries to make the sauce or one type of berries for the mousse and a different kind for the sauce, if you want to. This is a light and refreshing mousse dessert recipe. The cool mousse is wonderful with the warm sauce.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49943 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32452 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18615 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17622 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13832 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10612 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9816 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9483 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8545 Views)