Mousse a l’Orange
If you like orange gelatin, you will love this light and fluffy gelatin recipe. This orange foamy mousse is flavored with pistachios, dark rum, vanilla and more. The egg white and whipped cream help to give it an airy and fluffy texture. This is a good recipe to try if you have already made a few gelatin recipes or if you are used to using a thermometer when baking. It is quite important to follow the recipe carefully if you want your orange mousse to come out airy and full of bubbles. This is not a recipe for absolute beginners but it is not that hard to make.
This mousse a l’orange is served in one big bowl, and then you can ladle individual servings out of that. The citrus flavor of the orange is beautiful with the nutty pistachio flavor. If you cannot find pistachio puree you could use chestnut puree instead. Alternatively make your own by simmering pistachios in water or milk for an hour. Puree the soft pistachios at the end, and then push them through a fine mesh sieve. You can make any nut puree this way.
If you like fruity gelatin recipes, this orange mousse should appeal to you. The orange and green of the mandarin and pistachios make a nice garnish and this is an attractive looking pistachio and orange mousse recipe.
- 6 oz mascarpone cheese
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 oz package orange gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 ½ oz sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz pistachio puree or 8 oz shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 mandarins, peeled and white pith removed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup boiling water
- Handful of shelled unsalted pistachios, for garnish
- If you are making your own pistachio puree, you need to simmer the pistachios in water for an hour, then puree and sieve the mixture.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form, then cover it with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator until you need it.
- Blend the run, vanilla, and pistachio puree in a food processor.
- Add the salt only if you are using homemade pistachio puree (canned puree has salt already added).
- Process the mixture until it is very smooth.
- Beat the mascarpone with the pistachio puree, cover this mixture with plastic wrap, and set it to one side.
- Bring an inch of water to a slow simmer in a skillet.
- Whisk the egg whites with the sugar, and then set the bowl in the hot water.
- Keep whisking until an instant read thermometer reads 140 degrees F.
- This will take about 3 minutes.
- Put the bowl with the egg whites in a stand mixer and whisk on a medium high speed until the egg white mixture doubles in volume.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water.
- Warm the mascarpone mixture to 98 degrees F and whisk a little bit into the gelatin mixture.
- Add all the gelatin mixture to the mascarpone mixture, and then fold about ¼ of the egg white mixture into it.
- Fold the rest of the egg white mixture in.
- Fold in the whipped cream, bit by bit, then spoon the mousse into a large serving bowl.
- Decorate with the fresh mandarin segments and pistachio nuts and refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
Orange mousse, or mousse a l’orange as it is known in French, is a deliciously light and aromatic mousse with a tangy citrus flavor. This orange mousse also contains pistachio nuts for color and an exquisite flavor. Some of the pistachios are used to make a pistachio puree and the rest are used for a garnish. This delicious orange mousse is served in a big bowl, so you can serve people however much they want, or they can help themselves. This is not a filling dessert, so it is great after a heavy meal when everyone has indulged but still fancies something sweet afterwards.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49942 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32451 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18615 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13829 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10609 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9815 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9481 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8540 Views)