Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipes
What Makes Pumpkin Pie Recipes So Wonderfully Unique
Pumpkin pie is a classic dish and it is a favorite for many people. You can enjoy this wonderful dish warm or chilled, and even a complete novice in the kitchen is able to make a lovely pumpkin pie recipe for the family.
Interesting Pumpkin Pie History
The first pumpkin pies were made as early as 1621, when early American settlers filled hollowed-out pumpkin shells with honey, spices, and milk, before baking them in hot ashes. Northeastern Native Americans grew their own pumpkins and they boiled or roasted them for eating. It was the Native Americans who taught settlers how to prepare this plentiful and nutritious vegetable.
The first American cookbook, published in 1796, featured a pumpkin pie recipe with eggs, cream, pumpkin, mace, sugar, ginger, and nutmeg, baked in a crust. A similar recipe called for milk, pumpkin, molasses, allspice, ginger, and eggs in a crust.
The Popularity of This Amazing Dessert
Although pumpkin pie recipes are hundreds of years old, their popularity has never waned. In fact pumpkin pie is more popular than ever. There are plenty of ways to make this classic dish, and you can choose from baked or no-bake pumpkin pie recipes. You can also choose from using a canned pumpkin puree or using fresh pumpkin. This depends on how much time you have available, as well as whether pumpkins are in season or not.
Pies are popular all over the world but there is something extra-special about pumpkin pie recipes. This is a very festive dish. A lot of people only use pumpkin when there is something to celebrate, such as Halloween, thanksgiving, or Christmas, which is why it has a festive feel. Others believe pumpkin pie recipes are too good to reserve for only a few days of the year, and like to make pumpkin pie recipes more often.
Photo Credit: All images are credited to © Various through Dreamstime.com own license
Which Kind of Pie do You Like Best?
Baked Pumpkin Pie Recipe with Sweet Spices
Baked pumpkin pie recipes differ from no-bake pumpkin pie recipes. The flavor might be similar but the texture is very different. Most no-bake pumpkin pie recipes have a light, fluffy texture, since the pumpkin is whipped with a pudding mix, whipped cream or similar ingredients, but when a pumpkin pie is baked, the recipe is likely to contain different ingredients like egg and evaporated milk, to make the filling denser and heavier. The following recipe also features ginger, cinnamon, and cloves, for a spicy finish.
If you usually make no-bake pies or buy pumpkin pie readymade, now is a great time to bake your own pumpkin pie recipe. It really could not be simpler. You can buy readymade pastry and just roll out what you need, or you can make your own. This baked pumpkin pie is wonderful with whipped cream (whip some sugar into it if you like it sweet) or ice cream.
This is a fantastic dessert after any kind of entree and, although pumpkin pie recipes are popular during the festive season and around thanksgiving and Christmas, this dessert is wonderful at any time. You can use fresh or canned pumpkin, so you can make it year-round too. Make sure the canned pumpkin, if you are using it, is 100% pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling which will be sweetened and spiced already.
- Pastry for a 9 inch crust pie
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 2 beaten eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 fl oz evaporated milk
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream,to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and position the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Prepare the pie pastry, pressing it into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Mix together the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, sugar and salt in a bowl and blend in the beaten eggs with an electric mixer at a low speed.
- Add the evaporated milk and pumpkin and beat at a high speed until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pastry-lined plate.
- Bake the pumpkin pie for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F and bake for 45 more minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- The filling should be set but still jiggle a bit when you shake the plate.
- Let the pie cool on a wire rack, and then serve in wedges.
- Serve the pumpkin pie with whipped cream, if you like.
Making Pumpkin Pie Recipes Any Baker Would Be Proud Of
Anybody can make wonderful pumpkin pie recipes armed with a good recipe and the right ingredients, but it also helps to learn a few pumpkin pie tips. You can use a pureed, roasted sugar pumpkin to make your pumpkin pie, or you can use pumpkin pie filling or canned pumpkin puree. It depends what is available and how much time you have to spend on it.
Prebaking the crust before adding the filling helps to keep the crust flaky and crisp. Another good tip is to brush it with lightly beaten egg white before prebaking. Bake the pie the day you are going to serve it for the best results. It will still taste fresh on the second day, and you can also eat it on the third day, but it is still best when eaten fresh.
Spices make a big different to the end flavor of your pumpkin pie recipe. Cloves, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg are all possibilities, but remember if you are using a pumpkin pie filling that some of these are already spiced so check the ingredients first. Some people like to make the filling a day ahead, since this allows the ingredients to blend and improves the overall flavor.
More Tips for the Best Pumpkin Pie
Do not over-beat your filling. Over-beating adds too much air, and then the filling will rise too much as it bakes before collapsing and cracking. It is best to use a rubber spatula instead of a wire whisk, since this will not introduce as many bubbles into the mixture. The filling might also crack if you bake the pie for too long, since moisture will leak out through the top.
Top the pumpkin pie with whipped cream, vanilla or butter pecan ice cream, a streusel topping, chopped nuts with caramel sauce, or meringue. Another nice idea is to fold crushed toffee into the whipped cream.
If You Usually Make No-Bake Pies Or Buy Pumpkin Pie Readymade, Now Is A Great Time To Bake Your Own
Easy No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This fantastic pumpkin pie recipe is so easy to put together and there is no baking involved. It does require some chilling time, but if you are new to making pumpkin pie recipes and prefer no-bake ones, this recipe is ideal. To save time, you could use a readymade graham cracker crust, but making your own is just as easy, since you just need to combine three ingredients. If you like, you can add a pinch of spices to the graham crust but that is optional.
This pumpkin pie recipe features a tasty graham cracker crust which is topped with a flavorful cream cheese mixture. The cream cheese is blended with cream for a rich flavor and texture. The top layer is made with pumpkin puree, vanilla pudding, and spices, for a mouthwatering flavor impact.
Most pumpkin pie recipes are delicious but this one is in a league of its own. The three layers contrast beautifully and you can serve this pumpkin pie recipe with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, or simply as it is.
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- ½ pint plus 1 tablespoon cold milk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 lb pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 7 oz whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed nuts, to serve (optional)
- Caramel ice cream syrup, to serve (optional)
- 1½ cups crushed graham crackers
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- First make the crust.
- Stir the graham cracker crumbs with the sugar, and then blend in the butter.
- Press this mixture on to the base and partway up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Chill for half an hour.
- Whisk the cream cheese with the sugar and 1 tablespoon of the milk until smooth, then stir in the cream gently.
- Spread this over the crust.
- Pour the remaining milk in to a bowl and whisk in the pudding mix, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and pumpkin puree.
- Keep whisking until it is thick.
- Spread this over the cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Sprinkle mixed nuts over the pumpkin pie, if you wish, and perhaps drizzle some caramel sauce over the top.
As you can see from the picture, this is a very appetizing slice of pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie can be baked in the oven or made without any baking at all. This one needs to chill for several hours, so make it ahead. Once made, the pie will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator. The nut and caramel topping is optional and you can swap those garnishes for a simple dollop of sweetened whipped cream or a scoop of butter pecan ice cream if you prefer. This flavorful treat complements any meal and both kids and adults will love the taste.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49172 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32440 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17615 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13826 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10602 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9804 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8532 Views)