Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Are you tired of always bringing the plain and boring pumpkin pie to holiday get togethers with the entire family? I know the solution! Try my sweet potato pie recipe today! It is the perfect pie to take to surprise everyone! Check out my easy to follow recipe video that I have posted below for step-by-step instructions and helpful tips on how to make the perfect sweet potato pie!
Scrumptious Sweet Potato Pie
Have you ever noticed how folks will always claim they don’t like something even if they have never before tried it? Or perhaps they tried it years ago, did not like the way it was made and now swear they don’t like it?
My son was like this about sweet potato pie, saying he only liked pumpkin pie although I knew he had never had this truly southern sweet before. Well, one day while visiting relatives he helped himself to his aunt Lena’s pumpkin pie and after two slices he declared that his aunt Lena’s pumpkin pie was even better than his mama’s!
Little did the little darling know but his aunt Lena’s pumpkin pie was actually a southern deep dish sweet potato pie! Well, you too can make your family and friends a scrumptious sweet potato pie with this recipe below.
Yes, just follow the simple step by step directions below and before you know it your kitchen will fill with the lively fall aromas of cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, milk, nutmeg and butter blended together with mashed sweet potatoes slowly baking in a pie shell until firm in the center and golden around edges. Don’t be surprised when everyone praises you on a very delicious pumpkin pie and asks you for the recipe!
What Kind of Pie do You Like Best?
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb sweet potato
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 9 inch unbaked pie crust
- Boil the sweet potato whole in the skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Run cold water over the sweet potato, and the peel off the skin.
- Break the sweet potato apart in a bowl and add the butter. Mix well with a mixer.
- Stir in the sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Beat at a medium speed until the mixture is smooth, then pour it into the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- The pie will puff up like a souffle, and then it will sink down as it cools.
Photo Credit: sweet potato pie by bnilsen, on Flickr
One Response to Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49172 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32440 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17615 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13826 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10602 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9804 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8532 Views)