Double Chocolate Mississippi Mud Pie
Mississippi mud pie is a rich and tempting chocolate pie, which is thought to have originated in Mississippi. This dish is named after the dense chocolate cake part of the pie, which looks like the muddy banks of the Mississippi River, and it is believed that home cooks invented it after World War II, using simple ingredients that could be found in any grocery store.
Times have changed a bit and a modern Mississippi mud pie recipe is as likely to be made with instant pudding as with the original ingredients. Chocolate instant pudding gives the cream cheese filling a delicious flavor. The crust of this Mississippi mud pie recipe is made with chocolate and pecans. Serve this flavorful pie recipe with whipped cream and a strawberry and you have a slice of heaven on a plate. Chocolate sprinkles and chocolate syrup are also good on top of this pie.
If you want to cut down a little on the richness, you can omit the melted chocolate altogether from the recipe and use half a stick of melted butter instead of a quarter of a stick. This pie is so rich and indulgent that you probably will not have room for a second slice!
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 ¼ cups finely chopped pecans
- 2 ⅔ cups cold milk
- 2 fl oz melted chocolate
- ¼ stick melted butter
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 packages chocolate instant pudding
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- Chocolate sprinkles, for garnish
- Chocolate ice cream syrup, for garnish
- 6 fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together the pecans, flour, butter and half the melted chocolate.
- Press this mixture on to the base of a 9-inch spring form pan and bake it for 20 minutes.
- Let it cool. Beat the sugar into the cream cheese, using an electric mixer.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups of the Cool Whip and the remaining melted chocolate.
- Spread this mixture over the cooled crust.
- Whisk together the instant pudding mixes and the milk and spoon this layer over the cream cheese layer.
- Chill the Mississippi mud pie for 4 hours or until it has set.
- Run a knife around the pan rim to loosen the pie, and then take the rim off.
- Top the Mississippi pie with the sprinkles and syrup, then garnish with the rest of the Cool Whip and a fresh strawberry.
- Keep any leftover pie in the refrigerator.
If this photo looks tempting to you, it is highly likely that you will fall in love with this delicious Mississippi mud pie as soon as you have had your first bite. This is the ideal dessert for chocoholics everywhere. Mississippi mud pie has an international following and using instant pudding in the recipe gives this mud pie a great texture and a wonderful flavor too. Mississippi mud pie can be served with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and it is best served very cold.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49942 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32448 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10609 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9809 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8537 Views)