Grasshopper Pie with Pistachio and Mint
Modern grasshopper pie recipes often feature ice cream but the original grasshopper pie recipe was a mint and chocolate pie, which was based on a cocktail in the Prohibition era. This was a chiffon pie, which means that gelatin was used to stabilize a cream and egg white mixture, giving airy, delicate, and light results.
The following recipe is an easy grasshopper pie recipe and pistachio pudding is used for the rich green color. A little mint extract gives a mint flavor and you can decorate each slice of grasshopper pie with a sprig of fresh mint. If you want to make the crust, rather than using a store-bought Oreo piecrust, use mint sandwich Oreos so you get a mint flavor. If you are making this grasshopper pie recipe for children, leave out the white crème de cacao. This ingredient adds a rich flavor but you can leave it out and the grasshopper pie will still be good.
This grasshopper pie recipe takes at least two hours to set properly in the refrigerator. You can freeze it if you prefer and let the pie stand at room temperature just before serving it. Keep any leftovers in the freezer or refrigerator. If you serve this grasshopper pie before it is properly set it will be a bit gooey.
- 6 oz readymade Oreo piecrust
- 2 ½ cups cold milk
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- 1 package pistachio instant pudding
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract
- 2 teaspoons white crème de cacao
- 8 chocolate candies
- 8 sprigs fresh mint
- Pour the milk into a bowl and add the mint extract, crème de cacao, and pistachio pudding mix.
- Beat for a couple of minutes with a wire whisk, and then stir in all 1 ½ cups of the Cool Whip.
- Spoon this mixture into the Oreo crust and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until the pie is firm.
- Cut the pie into 8 pieces to serve and decorate each slice with Cool Whip, a chocolate candy and a sprig of mint.
No grasshoppers were harmed for this photo; this pie is strictly grasshopper-free! The pistachio pudding gives our tasty grasshopper pie recipe its distinctive green color. In the original recipe for grasshopper pie, the color came from mint liqueur. This is a silky smooth dessert and the chocolate, mint and pistachio flavors are great together. This grasshopper pie is very easy to make. If you enjoy making pie recipes, you will find this recipe very simple. You can garnish the finished grasshopper pie however, you like but something simple like Cool Whip, fresh mint, and a chocolate candy looks great.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Home (26558 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (20957 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (13621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (9491 Views)
- Fresh Strawberry Trifle Recipe with Red Wine (6076 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (5789 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (5707 Views)
- Slow Cooked Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe (5680 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (5316 Views)
- Sweet Lemon Cupcake Recipe (5006 Views)