Grasshopper Pie with Pistachio and Mint
Modern grasshopper pie recipes often feature ice cream but the original grasshopper pie recipe was a mint and chocolate pie, which was based on a cocktail in the Prohibition era. This was a chiffon pie, which means that gelatin was used to stabilize a cream and egg white mixture, giving airy, delicate, and light results.
The following recipe is an easy grasshopper pie recipe and pistachio pudding is used for the rich green color. A little mint extract gives a mint flavor and you can decorate each slice of grasshopper pie with a sprig of fresh mint. If you want to make the crust, rather than using a store-bought Oreo piecrust, use mint sandwich Oreos so you get a mint flavor. If you are making this grasshopper pie recipe for children, leave out the white crème de cacao. This ingredient adds a rich flavor but you can leave it out and the grasshopper pie will still be good.
This grasshopper pie recipe takes at least two hours to set properly in the refrigerator. You can freeze it if you prefer and let the pie stand at room temperature just before serving it. Keep any leftovers in the freezer or refrigerator. If you serve this grasshopper pie before it is properly set it will be a bit gooey.
- 6 oz readymade Oreo piecrust
- 2 ½ cups cold milk
- 2 cups Cool Whip
- 1 package pistachio instant pudding
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract
- 2 teaspoons white crème de cacao
- 8 chocolate candies
- 8 sprigs fresh mint
- Pour the milk into a bowl and add the mint extract, crème de cacao, and pistachio pudding mix.
- Beat for a couple of minutes with a wire whisk, and then stir in all 1 ½ cups of the Cool Whip.
- Spoon this mixture into the Oreo crust and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until the pie is firm.
- Cut the pie into 8 pieces to serve and decorate each slice with Cool Whip, a chocolate candy and a sprig of mint.
No grasshoppers were harmed for this photo; this pie is strictly grasshopper-free! The pistachio pudding gives our tasty grasshopper pie recipe its distinctive green color. In the original recipe for grasshopper pie, the color came from mint liqueur. This is a silky smooth dessert and the chocolate, mint and pistachio flavors are great together. This grasshopper pie is very easy to make. If you enjoy making pie recipes, you will find this recipe very simple. You can garnish the finished grasshopper pie however, you like but something simple like Cool Whip, fresh mint, and a chocolate candy looks great.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (50831 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32492 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18636 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17668 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13856 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10677 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9878 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9526 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9062 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8624 Views)