Tropical Dream Coconut Cream Pie
This delicious coconut cream pie is easy to make and the homemade pastry is especially good. If you are looking for a tropical dream coconut cream pie recipe, this one is excellent. The pie filling is made with vanilla instant pudding, cream, and coconut and the topping is vanilla-flavored cream with toasted coconut flakes.
This is a really special pie. It is a bit like lemon meringue pie in consistency and looks but with an unmistakable coconut flavor, which you will really like. It is well worth making your own pastry for this one. With this homemade pastry recipe, you need to bake it blind, which means lining it with aluminum foil and then putting weights or beans in the foil to stop the pastry from rising up and becoming uneven on the bottom. This is a very common step with many homemade pie pastry recipes.
If you like jello recipes with instant pudding, this is one of the best dessert recipes with coconut that you can try. This coconut cream pie is airy, light, and refreshing and it has a really delicious flavor. Take a bite, close your eyes, and imagine you are in the balmy tropics.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup ice water
- ? cup cake flour
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 packs vanilla instant pudding
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 2 ½ tablespoons powdered sugar
- Combine the flour, cake flour, and salt in a food processor and pulse to mix it together.
- Mix the vinegar, egg yolk, and ice water in another bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, using the food processor feed tube, pulsing continuously until the mixture is chunky and sticking together.
- Tip the dough on to plastic wrap and shape it into an inch thick disk.
- Wrap it in the wrap and chill it for an hour.
- Unwrap the dough and roll it into a 12 inch circle on a lightly floured board.
- Drape it over a 9 inch pie plate, fitting it carefully into the plate without stretching it.
- Trim the excess pastry and fold the outside part under itself so it looks even all the way around.
- Chill the pastry-lined pie dish for an hour.
- Put an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat it to 400 degrees F.
- Put a square of aluminum foil over the pie crust and press it gently over the sides and bottom.
- Fill the shell with weights or dried beans and bake it for 20 minutes, until the pastry edges start to brown.
- Remove it from the oven and remove the weights and aluminum foil.
- Prick the bottom of the pastry shell a few times with a fork, then bake it for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until it is golden brown.
- Let it cool. Beat together the pudding mixes and the milk.
- Whisk for 2 minutes, and then add half the cream and ¾ cup of the coconut flakes.
- Pour this mixture into the cooled crust and chill for about 4 hours.
- Toast the rest of the coconut by baking it, on a cookie sheet, at 375 degrees F for 5 minutes or until it goes golden brown.
- Stir it every couple of minutes while it cooks.
- Beat the rest of the cream until you get soft peaks, and then add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat well and spread this over the top of the pie.
- Sprinkle the cooled, toasted coconut over the top and serve.
This light and fluffy dessert recipe is easy to make. The solid, crunchy base contrasts well with the creamy vanilla filling and the fluffy cream top. Toasting coconut flakes is easy. You need to keep an eye on them so they do not burn. Serve this delicious coconut pie recipe at the end of dinner and everybody will be delighted with it. This pie takes a few hours to set in the refrigerator so start making it in plenty of time. This pie tastes every bit as great as it looks.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49172 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32439 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17615 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13826 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10602 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9804 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8532 Views)