Gelatin Bread Pudding with Mixed Berries
Summer puddings and fruit puddings are both very popular in England and refreshing summer bread pudding recipes are perfect on hot days. This delicious bread pudding recipe can be made either in one large dish or in 10 individual serving dishes.
The addition of gelatin gives a slightly different texture than bread pudding recipes normally have and it holds the dessert together perfectly so you can invert the bread pudding on to plates without worrying that some of it will stay behind, stuck in the dish! The lemon zest adds another flavor dimension as well as drawing out the fruit juices especially well. You can use whichever combination of berries you like. Boysenberries, although not always available, go well in this summer bread pudding recipe.
This bread pudding recipe needs to be left overnight in the refrigerator, so that the fruit juices can permeate all the bread, coloring it and flavoring it. So obviously you will have to make this gelatin bread pudding the day before you want to serve it. If you want to make something special, this is a really good dessert. The ingredients are widely available, as long as you can get fresh berries, and you can use any red berry gelatin you want.
- 1 large white organic loaf, in thick slices, crusts removed
- 3 lbs mixed red summer berries (e.g. raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, redcurrants, blackberries and cherries)
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ package gelatin, any red berry flavor
- Extra berries for garnish
- Wash and pick over the fruit. Discard bad berries, cherry stones, and stalks.
- Butter the inside of a 3-pint pudding dish. Line the dish with the sliced bread, overlapping each slice. Press the edges together.
- Bring the berries, sugar and lemon zest to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the fruit starts to release juice. Use a non-reactive pan for this.
- Reserve about ¾ cup of the juice and put it to one side to cool. Pour the rest of the fruit and juice into the bread-lined dish. Seal the top with more overlapping bread slices.
- Make up the gelatin according to the package instructions (using half the water, because you are using half the gelatin) but using half of the reserved fruit juice as well as the water. Keep the rest of the fruit juice in the refrigerator.
- Slowly pour the gelatin over the whole pudding. Cover the bread with a small, flat plate, which fits inside the dish, and weigh it down with a very heavy jar or at least 3 lbs of weight.
- Leave the bread pudding in the refrigerator overnight. The weight will make the juice bleed all the way through and stain everything red.
- Slide a flexible spatula between the bread and the dish to loosen the pudding and invert it on to a serving plate. Use the reserved juice to color any areas, which are still white rather than red.
- Garnish with berries and serve.
Bread pudding is a very English dessert and this wonderfully colored gelatin bread pudding is simple to make and looks splendid. You can tell from the photo how juicy and refreshing this bread pudding will taste and the fresh berries make it look enormously appealing. This is a great gelatin recipe to make if you are having a garden party or a similar outdoors get-together because it looks so elegant and tastes so delicious. Many people have never tasted homemade bread pudding and they have really missed out on a treat.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49172 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32440 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17615 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13826 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10602 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9804 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8532 Views)