Old Fashioned Steam Pudding Recipe
A lot of traditional English steam pudding recipes have been eclipsed by modern “healthy” desserts and this is a real shame. Of course, nobody is saying you should eat steam pudding every day but once in a while is not going to do any harm at all. The following recipe is for butterscotch steam pudding, or butterscotch steamed pudding, and the whole family will go crazy for this. It tastes so good.
This old fashioned steam pudding recipe is made in two stages. The first stage is combining the ingredients and the second stage is making the filling. Steamed puddings are not usually filled but this one is, and you will agree that the butterscotch filling makes the steamed pudding even more decadent, rich, and delicious.
Making steam pudding recipes is easier than you might think and you can leave them to steam for longer if you are not quite ready to serve them. There is no gradual adding of cream, eggs or butter in steam pudding recipes. The most important thing to bear in mind when making your first steamed pudding recipe is to ensure the butter is very soft, which means you should leave it for a few hours at room temperature or, better still, overnight. Do not use soft-whipped margarine instead because the flavor is nowhere near as good.
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 oz self rising flour
- 3 eggs
- 6 oz very soft butter
- 6 oz brown sugar
- 1 cup thawed whipped topping
- 1 package butterscotch flavor instant pudding
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup cold milk
- Grease a 2 pint pudding basin and add half the syrup to it.
- Sift the baking powder and flour into a bowl, and then add the sugar, black treacle, eggs, and butter.
- Beat the mixture for 2 minutes by hand or with an electric mixer.
- Spoon the mixture into the basin and level off the top with a palette knife or the back of a spoon.
- Put a sheet of waxed paper on top of the pudding and then wrap the whole thing in a 16 x 12 inch sheet of aluminum foil.
- Tie string all the way around it, leaving a loop as a handle for lifting it.
- Steam the pudding for 2 hours over simmering water in a big pan.
- Check the water level after an hour to make sure there is still at least a couple inches in there.
- Beat the cream cheese until it is creamy, and then add the mix gradually.
- Beat in the pudding mix for 2 minutes, then whisk in the whipped topping.
- Remove the aluminum foil and waxed paper from the steam pudding.
- Loosen the pudding using a palette knife and put it on a plate.
- Cut a large chunk out of it and spoon the butterscotch pudding inside.
- Put a plate on top and invert the pudding on to another plate so the smaller end is facing upwards.
- Warm the remaining syrup and pour it over the top of the pudding.
- Serve immediately.
You will have some cake left over after hollowing out the steam pudding to add the butterscotch filling. You can either serve the removed part of the cake on the plate or use the pieces to make a tiramisu or a gelatin salad recipe. This old fashioned steam pudding recipe is really good and you will love the spongy texture as well as the rich flavor. The warm syrup drizzled over the pudding at the end gives it such a great taste and you can serve it alone or with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on the side.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49172 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32439 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17612 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13826 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10601 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9802 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8530 Views)