Blueberry Pudding Recipe
If you are thinking about serving wine with your dessert and wondering what types of wines to match with what types of dessert recipes, why not just take a short cut and combine the two? The following red wine and blueberry recipe shows you how to combine red wine with blueberries to make an elegant and delicious dessert. Syrah is a type of red wine which has its own subtle blueberry flavor, so it really does complement the flavor of the fruit. Syrah, which is also known as Shiraz, is a dark-skinned grape which is grown all over the world and used to make tasty red wines. It is the seventh most grown grape in the world.
A city in Iran called Shiraz used to produce “Shirazi wine” and it used to be believed that the grape descends from there originally. However, subsequent DNA testing found that Shiraz is actually the offspring from Mondeuse Blanch and Dureza, two little-known French grapes. Syrah wine can be blended with other grapes to make a blended wine or it can be 100% Shiraz (or Syrah). For this recipe choose a 100% Syrah for the best results. The Syrah is reduced to a syrup with black pepper, vanilla, and sugar, and then the blueberries are allowed to soak in this mixture for several hours, so they become infused with the delicious flavor of the Syrah syrup.
You can garnish these cute little desserts however you want, but the recipe suggests raspberries, strawberries, and fresh mint, since the berry flavors complement the blueberry flavor and the mint adds color and freshness. Dark chocolate truffles go well with the overall flavor of this dessert so if you want to add another sumptuous touch, why not serve each person a couple of dark chocolate truffles on the side too?
- 9 oz fresh blueberries
- ½ bottle Syrah red wine
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 6 raspberries, 6 strawberry halves, and 6 small mint sprigs, for garnish
- Rinse and drain the blueberries.
- Combine the sugar and wine in a small pan and bring the mixture to a boil over a moderate to high heat.
- Keep boiling the wine mixture, without letting it bubble over, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until it reduces by half.
- Stir in the vanilla and black pepper and let this mixture cool.
- Divide the blueberries between 6 serving glasses and pour the cooled wine mixture over them.
- Chill overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with the raspberries, strawberry halves and mint sprigs.
Perhaps you are curious about the yellow raspberries in the photo. After all, many people have never heard of or seen this variety before. Yellow raspberries have a less intense flavor than the red type but they are sweeter. If you enjoy growing your own fruit you might be interested in yellow raspberries because they are simple to grow and they will keep producing until they are literally covered in snow. This elegant dessert is a wonderful idea for your next dinner party because they are unusual and guaranteed to be a talking point for all the right reasons.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49943 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32451 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18615 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13829 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10610 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9815 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9483 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8542 Views)