Low Fat Coconut Pudding with Ginger
A lot of coconut desserts, like coconut & ginger rice pudding for example, are high in fat because of the coconut milk or the coconut itself. In the following recipe for low fat coconut pudding, the dessert is flavored with coconut extract. This gives the right flavor whilst keeping the fat down. If you are not too worried about the fat though, you can switch coconut cream for the evaporated milk. This will also make the dessert white rather than pale yellow.
If you have tried coconut & ginger rice pudding, you will enjoy the flavors in this one because coconut, ginger, lemon, and vanilla are combined to make this low fat coconut pudding what it is. The lemon gelatin is used both for flavor and for consistency. It firms the pudding up and adds a tangy citrus flavor, which is nice with the coconut. The ginger adds a subtle spicy flavor but you will only need a little pinch of it.
If you cannot find vanilla beans, do not worry because they are mainly for decoration anyway. You can add a little vanilla extract instead of using the inside of the bean for flavoring. The vanilla is a good flavor to use in this fluffy gelatin dessert recipe but it is optional so feel free to completely omit the vanilla if you prefer. This tasty dessert is great after any kind of entree. It is light, refreshing and satisfying, all at the same time. Coconut fans will enjoy the tropical taste and if you have a lot of things to make at once, you will love the fact that this is a make ahead dish.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 package lemon gelatin
- 2 egg whites
- 5 oz evaporated milk
- Pinch ground ginger
- 1 ⅜ cups boiling water
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup whipped cream, to garnish (optional)
- Cut each vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
- Cut them in half again, across, so you have 8 pieces of vanilla bean in total.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water.
- Stir in the sugar, ginger, coconut extract, vanilla seeds, and evaporated milk.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Whip the egg whites until they are foamy.
- Fold them into the gelatin mixture and divide it between 8 parfait glasses.
- Leave the coconut puddings in the refrigerator to set.
- Top them with whipped cream if you like.
- Decorate each one with a piece of vanilla bean and serve.
As you can see from the picture, this low fat coconut pudding is appetizing. It will be off-white because of the evaporated milk. If you want a white dessert (for the sake of appearance), you can use creamed coconut instead of evaporated milk and leave out the coconut extract. Serve this fluffy coconut pudding whenever you want to impress your family or dinner guests. If you savor this with your eyes closed, you could almost be on a tropical beach with the sun overhead. The scent of coconut is one that many people love and, if you are one of them, you will really enjoy this delicious low fat coconut pudding recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49866 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32444 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17619 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10605 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9807 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9033 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8536 Views)