Easy Rice Pudding Recipe with Cinnamon
This rich, creamy rice pudding recipe is a classic favorite. Rice pudding can be served hot or chilled and there are lots of different recipes for it. The following rice pudding is flavored with citrus zest and topped with a sticky cinnamon raisin mixture. If you are not keen on raisins, you might like to serve fruit compote with this rice pudding recipe instead.
Also, you may use a whole cinnamon stick rather than the ground cinnamon, if you have one. If you are not keen on cinnamon, you might prefer adding a few drops of vanilla essence to the raisin mixture instead. Although the recipe calls for short-grain rice, you could substitute long-grain rice, since some people like making their rice pudding recipes with that.
In the UK you can get something called “pudding rice” which is a type of short-grain rice. The key point about rice pudding is that it is supposed to have a rich, creamy texture, and some types of rice will not achieve such a result, so use short-grain rice which soaks up a lot of liquid and has a soft texture and mild flavor. Divide the finished rice pudding between eight serving glasses immediately before serving it. You might have to stir a bit of milk through the mixture if it has solidified.
- 7 oz short-grain white rice
- 2 pints milk
- 1 ¼ pints water
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ½ oz white sugar
- 3 ½ oz light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 oz white raisins
- Put the rice in a pot with 1 pint of water. Add the orange and lemon zest.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat down.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the water has been absorbed.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the sugar and milk.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often, or until the rice is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Let the rice pudding cool and then let it sit at room temperature.
- Put the raisins in a saucepan with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and ¼ pint water.
- Gently warm the mixture until the sugar melts, then let it bubble for a minute or until it is thick.
- Stir in the cream and let the sauce cool in the pan.
- Serve the rice pudding with the raisin mixture on top.
This picture shows you what a great rice pudding recipe should look like. You can see how to raisins (or sultanas if you prefer) and cinnamon add visual appeal, and how creamy and appetizing the rice pudding looks, especially when served in a clear glass so you can see the dessert properly. Rice pudding recipes can be served hot, warm, or chilled, and you can swap the raisin and cinnamon topping for cherry compote or another kind of fruit compote. Some people like to leave the topping off and instead stir some honey or syrup through the rice pudding to sweeten it and add a contrasting taste and texture.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49942 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32448 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10609 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9809 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8538 Views)