Unusual Rice Pudding Recipe with Grape Gelatin
This recipe, known as “glorified rice” appears in a very early gelatin cookbook. We have modified it to use grape gelatin rather than lemon gelatin, but the rest of the ingredients and preparation remain the same. Not everyone likes combining rice with gelatin and, even if you love rice pudding recipes, you might find the concept of combining gelatin with rice strange. If in doubt, why not try the recipe for yourself? Perhaps you have some leftover rice, in which case this is an economical recipe to make and you might love it. The rice must be thoroughly cooked and very dry.
You can use any flavor of gelatin you like in this recipe and any kind of fruit juice. The original recipe called for pineapple juice but you can substitute that for anything you happen to have, such as orange juice or mixed fruit juice. If you want to make a two-tone gelatin mold, you can use two flavors of gelatin and let the first layer set before pouring on the second. You might find the salt a strange ingredient to feature in a gelatin dessert recipe but the original recipe calls for it, so you might like to add a little. If you really do not like the idea, you do not have to add any salt at all.
The rice adds texture to the gelatin, like you would get if you stirred in fruit or if you were to make a gelatin salad with nuts, marshmallows, and candies. Gelatin is delicious alone but even more delicious when you use it to make gelatin recipes, adding other ingredients to contrast with the gelatin flavor and texture. Most fans of rice pudding recipes will enjoy the following rice pudding and gelatin dish because the ingredients go together nicely and it is really easy to make.
- 2 packages grape gelatin
- 1 pint boiling water
- 4 cups cold boiled rice
- 2 cup whipped cream
- 1 pint canned fruit juice
- 8 tablespoons white sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water.
- Add the fruit juice and leave to cool.
- Whip the mixture to the consistency of whipped cream.
- Fold the rice into the gelatin mixture.
- Add the whipped cream and sugar.
- Add salt to taste.
- Pour the mixture into a ring mold and leave it in the refrigerator to set.
- Serve in slices.
As you can see from the picture, this is an unusual looking gelatin and rice pudding dessert. You do not have to serve it with cream, like in the photo, but you can if you like. Leftover rice often gets used up in stir fries and pilaf recipes if it is not thrown out. It is easy to cook too much rice (we have all done it at some point!) but recipes like this rice pudding recipe with grape gelatin mean you can use the extra rice to make something delicious instead of throwing it away or having to make another dish with it, to use it up. This tasty gelatin mold recipe features the flavors of grape gelatin and fruit juice and the interesting texture of soft, cooked rice.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49172 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32440 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17615 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13826 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10602 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9805 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8532 Views)