Easy Summer Pudding Dessert with Grape Gelatin
Summer pudding is a typical English dessert recipe. It is light, refreshing in the summer, and mouthwatering even in fall and winter, despite the name. The bright red hue of this dessert makes it very tempting and you can even serve it after Christmas dinner if you want something chilled and festive-looking. You only need five ingredients for this dessert but do not let that fool you into thinking it is not very tasty because it really is. The combination of fruit, bread, sugar, water, and gelatin is all you need to make an amazing treat for the whole family.
Gelatin is not a traditional summer fruit pudding ingredient but it is worth using because it enhances both the flavor and texture of this delicious cake. If you have a lot of fruit to use and a big pudding bowl, there is no reason you cannot double the recipe and make a jumbo-sized summer pudding. If you have a small bowl and not much fruit, halve the recipe if you want. The pudding does need to spend several hours in the refrigerator though, so the flavors can blend properly.
Home-baked bread or grocery store bread are both fine for making this summer berry pudding recipe. You can use currants, strawberries, blackberries or raspberries as the summer pudding berries in this gelatin dessert recipe, or you can use any combination of these. De-stoned Morello cherries are particularly good. Serve this dessert with well chilled sparkling wine if you are catering for a dinner party or another special occasion. This recipe will fill a 1 ¾ pint pudding bowl so adjust the quantities if need be.
- 6 to 8 slices white bread, no crusts
- 1 ½ lbs frozen or fresh red berries
- 1 package grape gelatin
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- Sugar (optional)
- Wash the berries and cut any big berries into smaller chunks.
- Heat the fruit in a saucepan until the juices start to come out. Line a greased glass bowl or pudding basil with all the bread except 1 slice.
- Add sugar to the fruit if necessary.
- The mixture should be a good combination of tart and sweet flavors, so add some and taste, then repeat if necessary.
- Pour the fruit and juice into the bread-lined bowl to with 1 ½ inches from the top of the bread.
- Put the reserved slice of bread on top and press down.
- Leave the pudding for an hour, then put a weighted plate on top and put it in the refrigerator for 6 hours so the fruit juice soaks right through.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water and stir in the cold water.
- Leave it to thicken.
- Unmold the summer pudding on to a serving plate and spoon the thickened gelatin over the top.
- Leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours to set.
It is important to let this summer berry pudding sit for an hour before adding the weighted plate, else the weight will squeeze a lot of the juice right through rather than allowing it to trickle through gradually. The grape gelatin adds a fruity flavor to this summer pudding dessert and the texture is excellent with the fruit juice-drenched bread. This traditional English gelatin dessert recipe might not feature gelatin in the original recipe but it works very well here. The only drawback is that the summer pudding must rest for an hour at room temperature, then six hours in the refrigerator and then even more time with the gelatin over it. However, we promise it’s well worth the wait!
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49866 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32444 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17620 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10605 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9807 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9035 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8536 Views)