Summer Berry Pudding with Juicy Blackberries
This summer berry pudding is one of the nicest desserts you can make with gelatin. This pudding is very popular in the UK and it is often served in the spring or summer when the brambles are heavy with fat, juicy berries. It looks better with fresh berries but if they are out of season, you could use canned or frozen ones, as long as you do not mind it looking like you have done that.
Adding gelatin to your Martha’s Vineyard summer pudding means it will hold its shape better. Summer pudding is usually quite dense and stays together but using gelatin adds a nice flavor and also helps with the consistency or this summer pudding dessert. Some summer pudding berries recipes are left overnight in the refrigerator so the juice from the berries penetrates right the way through, staining the entire pudding pink or red. This recipe can be made a couple of hours before you eat it though, since the pudding is left white and just the top is colored. Alternatively, leave it overnight if you like, for a richer final color.
You can use any berry flavor of gelatin you like for this summer berry pudding. The recipe calls for raspberry gelatin but you could try wild strawberry flavor or cherry flavor instead if you want to. Any fruit flavor goes with the blackberries. Use an unwaxed lemon in this recipe, since you will be adding the zest to the mixture. Use a non-reactive pan when cooking the berries. Stainless steel would be fine; aluminum would not. This is because acidic foods can cause a chemical reaction with reactive materials.
- 3 ½ lbs blackberries
- 1 loaf white bread, no crusts
- ½ package raspberry gelatin
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup cold water
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Grease a 3 pint pudding dish and line it with bread slices, allowing them to overlap.
- Press the bread firmly against the dish.
- Add the sugar, lemon zest and 3 lbs of the blackberries to a pan and simmer the mixture until the sugar dissolves and the juices start to come out of the berries.
- This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove ¾ cup of juice from the pan and let the rest cool, then pour it into the bread-lined dish.
- Put more bread slices on top.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, and then stir in the cold water and half of the reserved fruit juice.
- Pour the gelatin over the summer pudding, then cover the bread with a plate and weigh it down with a big can.
- Let it sit for 3 hours so some of the juice goes through the bread.
- Unmold the summer berry pudding on to a serving platter and pour the remaining juice over the top.
- Decorate it with the remaining blackberries and serve alone or with some whipped cream on the side.
A Martha’s Vineyard summer pudding makes a wonderful dessert and if you have some bread to use up, as well as some tasty berries, why not make this delicious and easy gelatin recipe? The other ingredients in this classic English dessert recipe include lemon and gelatin and this might sound like a simple recipe but the flavor is amazing, especially if you like fresh berries. Use white bread for this recipe and make sure you trim off the crusts before using it. Gelatin recipes vary a lot, from fluffy gelatin dessert recipes like mousse to striped gelatin molds and more. This dessert shows that gelatin can also be used to enhance bread pudding recipes.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49171 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32438 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17608 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13824 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10597 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9800 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9477 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9027 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8526 Views)