Apple and Rhubarb Crumble Spoons
Serving spoon-sized portions of dessert (on Asian-style spoons) is not a new idea but it is certainly a novel one. Making spoon-sized desserts means you can make two or three different simple dessert recipes and serve each one on a spoon. Imagine how pleased your dinner guests will be to have three delicious bite-sized desserts to enjoy.
You will need Japanese spoons for dessert-on-a-spoon recipes and usually you bake the dessert in one dish and then scoop it on to the spoons, wiping the sides and bottom of the spoons with paper towels so they look nice. This applies unless you are making no-bake desserts, in which case you can simply prepare them in the spoons.
This apple and rhubarb crumble contains lemon juice and ginger to complement the fruity flavor and they are garnished with fresh strawberry pieces and whipped cream. You can use aerosol cream on these if you want, since you only need a tiny bit on each one and you have more control with an aerosol spray. These are very small portions, after all.
- ½ bunch rhubarb
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cored, chopped apples
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 2 oz diced, chilled unsalted butter
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- 2 fresh strawberries, in lengthwise quarters
- Grease a 2-cup capacity ovenproof dish.
- Trim the rhubarb and cut it into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat a pot over a moderate to high heat and add the white sugar, lemon juice, and apples.
- Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until the apple is tender.
- Add the rhubarb and cook for 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender but not too soft.
- Transfer the cooked fruit mixture into the prepared dish.
- Leave the liquid in the pot.
- Wait for the fruit to cool a bit, then taste it and add more sugar if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, ginger, butter, and brown sugar using your fingers, until the mixture begins to clump together.
- Stir in the almonds.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the fruit and bake for half an hour, or until bubbling and golden brown.
- Let the crumble cool down then scoop it on to your Japanese spoons, ensuring you get some fruit mixture and some crumble.
- Use paper towels to wipe the bottom and sides of the spoons clean.
- Decorate each one with whipped cream and a strawberry quarter.
Making desserts could not be more fun and you will find that dividing the dessert into bite-size portions, as shown in the picture, gives your guests something to talk about. If everyone is full from your delicious entree and only has room for a little dessert, then these rhubarb and apple crumble spoons are ideal. You can make these for a buffet or for a dinner party. The recipe is very easy to follow and the dessert features a juicy fruit base with a sweet, crumbly topping, as well as a whipped cream and fresh strawberry garnish for an attractive look.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49171 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32431 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18608 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17599 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13821 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10586 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9787 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9472 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9024 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8516 Views)