Plum Strudel with Walnuts
A strudel is a delicious filo pastry wrapped fruit dessert and, although it is usually made with apples, you can use other fruits to make it. Plums work particularly well, or you can try peaches or sour cherry. The oldest recipe for strudel dates back to 1696. As well as the sweet ones you can also get savory strudels, with fillings like cabbage, pumpkin or spinach. There are also meat ones.
The following recipe shows you how to make a strudel with plums and walnuts. Swap one of the plums for a couple of tablespoons of chopped raisins if you like. The cinnamon is a nice addition and you can serve this dessert with whipped cream. Filo pastry can be made by hand or you can buy it frozen and just use that instead. Each layer is very thin and you need to lightly brush each layer with oil before adding the next.
Strudel is nice served warm from the oven with some powdered sugar on top, and you can serve it with some freshly whipped cream or else a scoop of vanilla ice cream is always nice with such a dessert. A lot of pastries can be quite heavy but filo pastry is comparatively light, so do not worry about this dessert being too filling, because it should not be. This is a dessert for any occasion and, despite the elegant presentation, it is nice and easy to put together.
- 5 chopped, stoned plums
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- ½ cup chopped walnut halves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the plums, walnuts, cinnamon and sugar.
- Put a sheet of filo pastry on a cutting board and brush with oil.
- Add another sheet of pastry and brush that with oil.
- Keep going until you have used all the pastry.
- Spoon the fruit mixture along a short edge of the pastry stack, leaving a 1½ inch border on every side.
- Fold in the sides and roll up to make a log shape.
- Brush with oil and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Beat the cream until you see soft peaks.
- Dust the strudel with powdered sugar and cut into 4 slices to serve.
- Serve with the whipped cream.
You can see how tasty this plum dessert looks. The filo pasty is carefully layered so it crisps up well in the oven, and the filling is really good. Made with plum and walnut, and fragranced with cinnamon, this is a classy dessert. Serve it with whipped cream or, if you prefer, a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream. You can serve this dessert after any type of main dish and you will find it is not too heavy to enjoy after a hearty meal. Whether you have tried apple strudel before, or this kind of dessert is a new one on your to-try list, you will find the flavors work really nicely here and this is a dessert you will want to make again and again.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49866 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32441 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18613 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17615 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13827 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10603 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9806 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9030 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8534 Views)