Death by Chocolate Trifle
This tasty death by chocolate trifle recipe combines lemon milk gelatin with chocolate pudding. The individual trifles are topped with whipped cream and chocolate curls. Some trifles contain pork or sweet sherry. Madeira wine is another option. This recipe can be fortified with the addition of a little chocolate liqueur, such as Kahlua, which is Mexican or Tia Maria, its Spanish equivalent. This ingredient is optional but it does add a velvety richness to the chocolate layer. The reason why alcohol is used in many trifle recipes is because it moistens the cake layers. Sometimes fruit juice is used instead. This chocolate trifle layered dessert does not contain a cake layer but the alcohol does suit the recipe.
This trifle contains lemon milk gelatin, which is made with half water and half milk to make it opaque and tasty. Modern trifle recipes contain gelatin but it did not feature in the first recipes for trifle. There is a very similar Scottish dish called “tipsy laird,” which is made with whisky or Drambuie (“laird” is the Scottish word for lord or landowner). In the south of the United States, a popular trifle-like dessert is “tipsy cake.” Trifles are often just as much about presentation as flavor, which is why they tend to be colorful, made in layers and served in clear glass bowls or glasses. Christmas is a popular occasion for trifle and some people prefer its lightness over the relatively more heavy Christmas pudding.
Another variety is Creole trifle, which is also known as “Russian cake” and this is made by combining different cakes and rum or red wine, as well as a fruit juice or sweet syrup. The dessert is chilled and has various colors and flavors in it. new Orleans bakeries produce desserts like this out of their imperfect baked cakes. A similar dish in France is called “diplomate” and Italy has “zuppa inglese” which means “English soup” and is similar to trifle recipes.
- 1 package chocolate flavor instant pudding
- 1 package lemon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua or Tia Maria liqueur (optional)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 cups milk
- 8 oz whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons chocolate curls
- Dissolve the lemon gelatin in the boiling water, and then stir in a cup of the milk.
- Leave the mixture to thicken.
- Whisk the chocolate pudding with the Kahlua or Tia Maria liqueur, and the remaining milk, and divide it between 6 serving glasses.
- When the gelatin is very thick, spoon it over the chocolate pudding.
- Top each trifle with some whipped cream and chocolate curls and chill them for an hour before serving.
This tasty chocolate trifle is made in three layers, namely the chocolate mousse layer, the lemon milk gelatin, and the whipped cream. The chocolate curls finish it off nicely and you can make these by pulling a sharp knife over the top of a block of chilled chocolate. Work quickly, before the chocolate has a chance to melt. This impressive dish would be nice at a dinner party and you can use orange gelatin instead of lemon gelatin if you prefer. This chocolate trifle layered dessert does not contain cake but you could break up a chocolate muffin and add that to the chocolate layer if you want to thicken it up a bit.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49942 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32448 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17621 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10609 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9808 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9036 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8537 Views)