Fresh Strawberry Trifle Recipe with Red Wine
A trifle is a dessert, which is normally made with fruit, custard, fruit juice or gelatin, whipped cream and some kind of sponge cake or ladyfingers. The ingredients are normally layered with the cake and fruit on the bottom and the cream on top. The first trifle recipes comprised a thick, sweetened cream, which contained rosewater, ginger, and sugar. This recipe appeared in the 1596 book, “The Good Housewife’s Jewel” by Thomas Dawson. The custard and milk was added, as well as the alcohol and cake, sixty years after.
The following is a very special fresh strawberry trifle recipe because the strawberries are cooked in wine, vanilla, and sugar, giving them a really sophisticated flavor. For a stronger flavor, add a little port wine to the red wine. Zinfandel would be a good red wine to use or something quite dry but fruity too. The vanilla cookies are unusual in this recipe. Trifle recipes usually contain cubes of cake or ladyfingers but the vanilla cookies work well. Leaving the trifle to chill for a few hours or overnight before serving it means the cookies absorb a lot of the juice from the marinated strawberries, giving them a soft texture and a wonderful taste.
This is a very easy fresh strawberry trifle recipe and the red wine and cookies makes it elegant enough for a dinner party dessert. If you are using quite small serving glasses, you might get ten servings. If you have bigger ones, you will get about eight.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ cups dry red wine
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart halved fresh strawberries
- 1 package vanilla cookies
- Bring the wine and ? cup of the white sugar to a boil in a pan and keep boiling the mixture for 5 minutes or until it has reduced to 1 cup.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the sliced strawberries and vanilla extract.
- Let it cool for an hour, stirring a few times. Break the cookies into small pieces.
- Whisk the instant vanilla pudding with the milk.
- Divide half the pudding between 10 serving glasses, and then top it with ¾ of the cookies.
- Add half the strawberries, then the rest of the pudding and finally the rest of the strawberries.
- Sprinkle the remaining cookie pieces over the top.
- Chill the trifle for a few hours or up to twenty four hours, so the flavors can blend.
The seemingly simple combination of vanilla cookies, strawberries, and pudding make a light, refreshing dessert and this fresh strawberry trifle recipe is ideal for any summertime lunch or dinner. When you taste the strawberries, you will be able to tell that they were soaked in a sweetened red wine and vanilla marinade and this really does make them extra delicious. For a much more simple trifle recipe, you can omit the marinade and just combine the cookies, pudding, and fruit. This is a bright and colorful trifle recipe, which is sure to thrill anybody you serve it to.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49866 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32444 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18614 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17620 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13828 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10605 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9807 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9480 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9035 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8537 Views)