Healthy Yogurt Plum Trifle – The Low Calorie Option
This is a healthier option than some trifle recipes, which are packed with calories and fat, and it tastes just as good. This yogurt plum trifle recipe is about as far removed from the classic trifle recipe as you can get but, if you are watching your weight, it might be a good idea to make this dessert because it tastes wonderful and is completely satisfying.
You can use purple plums instead of red ones if you want; the flavor will not be very different. Also, you might want to use a different flavor of gelatin. The orange gelatin is just to give some extra flavor to the plum mixture and to eliminate the need for adding too much sugar. If you do not want to use any sugar at all in this plum trifle recipe you could use a sugar substitute like Splenda. The yogurt layers replace the custard that you would find in the conventional recipe for gelatin and the sweet plum layer adds a nice fruitiness. There is no cake in this trifle recipe but you could add some if you want to.
The pistachio nuts add some color to this tasty yogurt plum trifle, as well as a nice crunch. The figs add a contrasting fruit flavor, which works nicely with the redcurrant, orange and plum flavors. This dessert is a refreshing treat on a warm day and it is also nice if you fancy a fruity yogurt-based breakfast. In fact, this could be our most versatile trifle recipe of all.
- 2 lbs sliced red plums
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup redcurrant jelly
- 2 fresh figs
- ½ package sugar-free orange gelatin
- 8 pistachio nuts
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 1 inch orange peel strip
- Bring the plums, sugar, jelly, cinnamon and orange peel to a boil in a pan, then turn down the heat and simmer it for 12 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
- Stir the mixture a few times.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool a bit.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and orange peel.
- Mash the plums coarsely, and then stir in the gelatin powder.
- Cover and chill the plum mixture in the refrigerator.
- Divide half the yogurt between 4 serving glasses, and then divide all except 4 teaspoons of the plum mixture between the glasses.
- Top with the remaining yogurt and then the remaining plum mixture.
- Crust the pistachio nuts with a rolling pin and sprinkle them over the top of the trifle.
- Cut each fig in half and use them to garnish the trifles.
Our yogurt plum trifle might lack some of the ingredients found in traditional trifle recipes, such as cream, custard and cake, but it does not lack flavor. The sweet, juicy plum mixture is enriched with the addition of brown sugar and redcurrant jelly, as well as orange peel and cinnamon for a spicy, festive taste. The vanilla yogurt gives you a great creaminess without the fat and the pistachio and fig topping is unusual. If you are looking for healthy dessert recipes, this one tops up your calcium and vitamin C levels and tastes amazing at the same time.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49171 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32433 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18609 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17600 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13821 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10588 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9790 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9473 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9026 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8519 Views)