Layered Salad Recipe Trifle with Blueberries and Strawberries
This layered salad recipe trifle looks different to traditional trifle recipes because instead of having a gelatin and fruit layer, a custard layer and a cream layer, the whole dessert is layered and the gelatin is poured over the top to soak into the other ingredients. This is a bit of a change from the conventional trifle recipes you might be more familiar with but, if you are looking for something without the custard layer, this one is tasty.
This trifle recipe has whipped cream in it and also on top. The gelatin is made with half water and half 7Up, Sprite or lemonade to make it really tangy and fruity. You could use all water if you prefer or even try a different flavor of gelatin. The lime gelatin has a nice citrus tang which contrasts well with the sweetness of the berries but you could try strawberry, raspberry or blueberry gelatin (called Berry Blue JELL-O ® on the box) so the flavor will enhance the berry flavor in this layered salad recipe trifle.
Since you can see all the layers in this trifle recipe, it is a good idea to stick to fresh fruit rather than use anything thawed because thawed fruit looks messy. It’s fine for making smoothies or mousse or anything where you want the fruit flavor, but when garnishing desserts or serving something layered in a clear dish or glass, it is best to stick to fresh fruit because it looks much better in the finished recipe, especially if you are serving this at a dinner party or to guests. If berries are not in season, you could use canned mandarin segments and fresh bananas, for example. Firm bananas slice more easily than over-ripe ones, which tend to go mushy.
- 1 lb yellow cake, in 1 inch cubes
- ½ pint chopped strawberries
- ½ pint raspberries
- ½ pint blueberries
- 1 package lime gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup 7Up or Sprite
- 1 pint whipped cream
- Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, then stir in the 7Up or Sprite and leave it to thicken.
- Layer the cake, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and two thirds of the whipped cream in a bowl or divide them between 10 serving glasses.
- When the gelatin is thick, spoon it over the top of each trifle, letting some sink through the fruit, cake and cream layers and the rest sit on top.
- Chill the trifles for several hours, to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve garnished with the remaining whipped cream.
This colorful combination of ingredients makes a very appetizing dessert. You can use any kind of cake to make this – pound cake, butter cake, and angel food cake are all good. Either buy one readymade or make your own using a box mix. The fresh fruit is really tasty and the whipped cream and gelatin finish this layered salad recipe trifle off perfectly. If you are looking for a new twist on the classic trifle recipe and you are not worried about there not being a custard layer, why not try this flavorful dessert. You can pour the gelatin over the dessert before it thickens if you want it to coat all the ingredients or leave it until it is a bit thick if you want some of it to sink through and some to sit on top.
Leave a Reply
- Top Dessert Ideas to Keep Them Coming Back October 9, 2015
- Tangy Lime Cupcakes with Poppy Seeds September 30, 2014
- No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake September 22, 2014
- Spiced Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Pie September 21, 2014
- Plum Strudel with Walnuts September 16, 2014
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe December 22, 2013
- Easy No Cook Banana Pudding Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf December 20, 2013
- Almond Butter Cookies Recipe December 18, 2013
- Apricot Meringue Pie Recipe December 18, 2013
- A Simple Recipe for Egg Tarts December 15, 2013
- Easy Carrot Pudding Recipe December 15, 2013
- Chocolate Caramel Brownies November 28, 2013
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe November 25, 2013
- Home (49171 Views)
- Recipe for Gingerbread Loaf (32426 Views)
- Here are Some Easter Decorating Ideas for Cupcakes (18608 Views)
- Recipe for Rhubarb Bread Using Either Sour Cream or Buttermilk (17599 Views)
- Beauty is a Vanilla Icing Recipe for Cupcake (13817 Views)
- Golden Rum Cake Recipe (10585 Views)
- Cute Green Frog Cupcake Recipe (9786 Views)
- Crockpot Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla (9472 Views)
- Celebrate the Day with a Lemon Frosting Gourmet Cupcake (9022 Views)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pudding Recipe (8510 Views)